Pages in Cost of living support

  1. 1. How we can help you
  2. 2. Help with food
  3. 3. Help with energy bills
  4. 4. Paying your Council Tax
  5. 5. You are here: Money and debt advice
  6. 6. Paying your rent or mortgage
  7. 7. Welfare support

5. Money and debt advice

There are many organisations locally who can give you advice and practical help with managing your money.

Money Support service

Our Money Support service can offer tailored support for up to 12 weeks to help you budget and become more confident at managing your money. The team has also shared some tips on How to budget and save money.

Surrey County Council’s online hub and helpline

Surrey County Council’s online hub can point you in the right direction for financial and welfare information and advice. The same information is also provided in the Directory of Support, which was posted to all households in the county in November 2022.

You can also telephone the Community Helpline, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays

  • Telephone: 0300 200 1008 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays)

Money advice

Advice on budgeting can help you manage your money and deal with any money worries you may have. Here are some ways to get FREE support:

  • Citizens Advice Reigate and Banstead offers advice on a variety of issues including money, debt and legal issues.
  • Surrey Community Action offers free advice on budgeting and saving money – helping you to get support and deal with any money worries you may have.
  • Entitled to has a mission to help everyone access the benefits they are entitled to. You can use their free benefits' calculator to check what you're entitled to.
  • MoneyHelper brings together the support and services of three government-backed financial guidance providers - the Money Advice Service, the Pensions Advisory Service and Pension Wise.
  • Our Money Support service can offer tailored support for up to 12 weeks and provide some online tips.
  • If you are a Raven Housing Trust resident you have access to their Moneywise team  who may be able to help you make the most of your income and suggest ways to reduce your spending

Debt advice

If you are worried about debt, there are national and local organisations who can help:

  • Community Debt Advice offers expert debt advice locally.
  • National Debt line can provide a range of independent debt and budgeting advice, including benefits and other support.
  • Breathing Space debt support is a government scheme to help people falling behind on essential bills and facing problem debt. It gives you the time to get your finances back on track without pressure from creditors or mounting debts.  

Emergency funds

  • The Mayor’s Trust Fund is a hardship fund designed to support residents of Reigate & Banstead who are experiencing particularly acute financial hardship. The Fund can support one off costs up to £500 (or in exceptional circumstances up to £750) that are putting extra financial pressure on a resident. Applications must be made on behalf of a resident by a council officer or trusted third party.
  • The Surrey Crisis Fund is a discretionary fund run by Surrey County Council. It provides financial help to Surrey residents who have nowhere else to turn in an emergency or following a disaster. It can also provide assistance to set up a home in the community where no other funds or resources available.