The Mayor's Trust Fund
About the Mayor’s Trust Fund
The Mayor’s Trust Fund is a hardship fund designed to support residents of Reigate & Banstead who are experiencing particularly acute financial hardship. The Fund can support one off costs that are putting extra financial pressure on a resident.
The Trust Fund generally distributes disbursements of £250-£300.
Applications are invited all year round and can only be made on behalf of a resident (the Nominee) by council officers or a trusted 3rd Party (the Proposer).
The Proposer can be from the Voluntary Sector, the Social Care Sector or the Housing Sector, for example.
The Proposer must have a good understanding of the circumstances of the proposed Nominee (the person who would receive the funds if the application was successful).
The Trust Fund’s Trustees will consider each application against the Fund’s criteria.
For this reason, it is recommended that the application form is completed with as much information as possible. Please note all information remains comfidential as per our Privacy Notice.
Criteria for applications
The Trust Fund invites applications for support that are also in line with the Council’s core objectives as set out in its 5 Year Plan.
This includes helping older people to stay independent; helping young people into employment; support for families in need; and help to undertake more active lifestyles.
If the Nominee can answer ‘yes’ to most of the questions below, their application is more likely to be successful.
- Will the support make a difference to the family/individual?
- Will the Nominee run out of funds to meet an immediate need? This means there is not enough money for today or there will not be enough left within the week.
- Has the Nominee approached other household members/family to see if they can help?
- Does the Nominee already receive other financial support and exhausted these avenues? Eg.Universal Credit (and an application for advance payment of universal credit has been made), council tax reductions, income support, job seekers allowance, pension credit, mortgage holidays, etc.
- Is the Nominee being affected by exceptional circumstances that could be putting extra financial pressure on them?
Completing the application form requires the Proposer to have agreement in writing from the Nominee that the Nominee has read and agrees the following statements:
The Nominee has given their consent for Benefit Services to disclose Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support to the Trustees of the Mayor’s Fund for the purpose of verifying this application.
The Nominee has been informed that any person(s) that dishonestly provides false or misleading information in communication with the Council, whether written or verbal, will be committing a criminal offence contrary to the Fraud Act 2006 and may be subject to a criminal investigation and possible criminal proceedings.