Pages in My sustainable business
- 1. Energy
- 2. You are here: Business waste
- 3. Transport
- 4. Water
- 5. Workspaces and construction
- 6. Free Low Carbon Accelerator training
2. Business waste
Did you know 2.5 billion disposable coffee cups are thrown away every year in the UK alone? (Source: Friends of the Earth)
The term ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’ not only tells you how to tackle the problem of waste, it tells you the right order to do it. You can find more information on this in the My Home page, and some business-specific advice below.
The best way to reduce your waste is to consume less. Look at what you’re buying for your business and identify where you can make reductions or more sustainable choices.
- Choose products that last longer or can be easily repaired
- Opt for less, or even zero, packaging (and check if any packaging it does have is recyclable)
- Avoid single-use-plastics or other materials that are damaging to the environment
- Source environmentally friendly or recycled office supplies
Look at the waste resulting from what you buy and what is produced as a result of your business operations – are there any opportunities to reuse the waste? You can find lots of information from Business in the Community.
There are lots of ways to recycle commercial waste in Reigate & Banstead – take a look at our commercial waste page . For more information on what you can recycle and where, see Surrey Environment Partnership.