The Housing Register
Pages in The Housing Register
2. Who can apply?
Anyone can make an application to the register and all applications will be assessed in accordance with the council's Housing Register and Allocations Policy. All applications will also be referred to the Fraud and Error team for verification purposes.
Prospective applicants should note that, due to the strict qualifying criteria, the majority of applications are rejected.
According to the policy, in order to be accepted, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have lived in the borough of Reigate & Banstead continuously for at least the last three years, or worked here continuously for at least the last 12 months
- Have gross annual household income under:
- £30,000 (single applicants)
- £35,000 (joint applicants - two adults only in household)
- £50,000 (all other households)
- Not have savings/capital/assets over £16,000
- Not own their own home (this includes shared ownership)
- Not have rent or Council Tax arrears
- Not have a record of unacceptable behaviour/ASB
- Have a ‘housing need’ as defined in the Housing Register and Allocations Policy (waiting list applicants only)
- Be eligible for an allocation of social housing according to their immigration status
- Other criteria as detailed in the Housing Register and Allocations Policy