Council Tax Appeals

IMPORTANT NOTE – You must continue paying Council Tax as per your most recent bill while waiting for an appeal to be decided. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpayment.

Appeals against your Council Tax band –

Appeals against your Council Tax band are the remit of the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) of HM Revenue & Customs, rather than the Council. Please see the Valuations and banding page for further information.

Appeals against your Council Tax liability –

You can appeal to the Council Tax department if you think:

  • we have sent the bill to the wrong person for your home
  • your home should be exempt from Council Tax
  • the amount of the bill is wrong, for example if you think you're entitled to a discount, or we haven't reduced the bill for a disability

In the first instance, please write to the Council Tax department by either email or post using the details on the back of your Council Tax bill, giving reasons why you think your bill is wrong. We may ask you for more information so that we can make a decision. You must write to us within 2 months of the date that the bill concerned was issued to you.

We may either decide:

  • that the bill is wrong and send you a new one
  • that the bill is right and explain why

If you are not satisfied with the decision, then we will advise you how you can appeal further.

Appeals against a Council Tax Reduction and or Support decision –

These appeals will be considered by the Benefits department. Please complete the online form .