Valuations and banding

Pages in Valuations and banding

  1. 1. You are here: Valuations and banding
  2. 2. Valuation Office

Most dwellings are subject to council tax. There is one bill per dwelling, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented.

Each dwelling has been allocated to one of eight bands according to its open market capital value at 1 April 1991.

To find out which Council tax band you have to pay type your postcode into the box below.


Valuation band

Range of values

A Up to and including £40,000
B £40,001-£52,000
C £52,001-£68,000
D £68,001-£88,000
E £88,001-£120.000
F £120,001-£160,000
G £160,001-£320,000
H More than £320,000


Your council tax bill states which band applies to your dwelling.

It is the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) that allocates the band for your dwelling. If you need to appeal against this band please contact the VOA Office.

Completion Notices

A completion date is the date on which a newly constructed property becomes liable for council tax. In all cases the Council will inspect the property, and will issue a Completion Notice, up to three months in advance, if the property is complete or nearly complete. For more information please refer to our Completion Notice Policy.

Appeals against banding

The grounds for appeal about banding are restricted to the following cases:

  • where you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction (this is explained below) in the dwelling's value
  • where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes
  • where the Listing Officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer
  • where you became the taxpayer in respect of a dwelling for the first time. (Your appeal must be made within six months, but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by the Valuation Tribunal Service, it cannot be made again.

A material increase in value may result from building, engineering, or other work carried out on the dwelling.

In these cases revaluation does not take place until after a sale - so the person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident.

A material reduction in value may result from the demolition of any part of the dwelling, any change in the physical state of the local area or an adaptation to make the dwelling suitable for use by someone with a physical disability.

In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

If you are not liable to pay council tax

You may also appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay council tax, for example, because you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt; or that your billing authority has made a mistake in calculating your bill.

If you wish to appeal on these grounds you must first notify your billing authority in writing so that they have the opportunity to reconsider the case.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of tax owing in the meantime. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.