Published Friday, 25th November 2022
It’s time for residents to nominate and celebrate inspirational individuals, teams, volunteers, clubs and coaches from across the borough.
Nominations open today (25 November 2022) for the Reigate & Banstead Sports Awards 2023, run by the Council working with the Reigate & Banstead Sports Council. These annual awards highlight the incredible sporting achievements and dedication of local people.
The eleven categories cover nominations for all ages and abilities.
- Volunteer of the Year
- Young Volunteer of the Year
- Changing Lives Award
- Sports Person of the Year
- Young Sports Person of the Year
- Coach of the Year
- Club of the Year
- Team of the Year
- Junior Team of the Year
- Senior Citizen Award
- Inclusive Sport Award
They recognise performance any time between 1 January 2022 and 1 January 2023 and winners retain their title for the whole of 2023.
See more details at www.reigate-banstead.gov.uk/sportsawards. The nomination form is quick and easy to complete and it’s free to enter. Please read the criteria and complete your form by the 8 January 2023 deadline.
Cllr Kanika Sachdeva, Executive Member for Leisure and Culture, said: “Each year, the Reigate & Banstead Sports Awards celebrate those people, teams, clubs or coaches who made a huge impact in their own sport - or empowered others to participate and succeed.
“Being active and enjoying sport can help everyone, of any age or ability, to keep mentally and physically fit. I encourage residents to nominate their heroes who deserve special recognition for contributions to local sport during 2022. I wish everyone nominated the best of luck and look forward to meeting the winners in 2023!”
Some of last year’s winners have encouraging words to say too.
- Sports Person of the Year 2022 – Neil Baker said: "I was truly honoured to be nominated for Sports Person of the Year in 2022. To win it was a fantastic surprise. There are so many fantastic sports people through Reigate & Banstead doing incredible things. Please nominate them!"
- Young Sports Person of the Year 2022 - Rachel Harris said: "Thank you so much Reigate Squash Club for nominating me for this amazing award and for encouraging me to play such a fun and healthy sport!"
- Senior Citizen Award 2022 - Wendy McGurrin said: “Receiving the Senior sports award in 2022 was an amazing honour. It was a massive boost to be recognised for my contribution in supporting older people like myself to keep active both physically and mentally.”
All nominations will be considered by an independent panel of judges. Successful, shortlisted nominees and their nominators will be informed and invited to a prestigious awards ceremony on 1 March 2023.
The Harlequin Theatre will again host the ceremony to announce the winners and it promises to be an even bigger and better evening than last year! Giving a great chance to raise the profile of your sporting heroes, as well as celebrate and socialise at our exciting event for individuals, teams, clubs and their guests.
You can also get active and find a sport that suits you by checking out the amazing range of local clubs at www.reigate-banstead.gov.uk/directory/15/sport_clubs