Committal Action

If we have tried using enforcement agents but your Council Tax still is not paid in full, we may apply to the Magistrates Court for a warrant.

Before issuing a warrant of commitment, the Court must hold a means enquiry with you present. A Warrant will only be issued if the Court is satisfied that the failure to pay is the result of wilful refusal or culpable neglect. The maximum period of imprisonment is three months.

The Court may decide to postpone the period of imprisonment on certain conditions, normally relating to payment of the debt over a period of time. The Court also has the power to remit all or part of the debt.

If you are taken to Court following a warrant you are likely to incur considerable more costs in addition to the risk of imprisonment.