Nork Park

Nork Park

Nork Park is an important recreational area for local residents and visitors alike.

A popular dog walking spot, the park is recognised for its wonderful views, as well as the rare and unusual plants and flowers that grow there. Its football pitches, playgrounds and community centre are well used by the local community.

Nork Park forms part of the grounds of the former Nork House estate, built by the Buckle family in around 1740 and bought by Banstead Council in 1947.

One of the park's most interesting – and potentially valuable – features is its arboretum (a collection of trees prized for their scientific value), established in the late 1840s.

The arboretum contains a number of non-native tree species, many of them mature and home to thriving wildlife communities. It has great potential to be a regionally important educational and scientific facility.

History Timeline 

  • Bronze age By about 4000 years ago it is thought that a significant settlement was in existence in the Southerly region of the park leaving large amounts of flint tools
  • Medieval Period: The Church of Great Burgh was situated in Chapel Meadow in the South West corner of the park
  • 1740 Nork House was built and the grounds landscaped
  • 1890 Nork House was described as a “noble and substantial mansion in a grandly timbered park”
  • 1924 The house and grounds were put up for sale
  • 1937 Nork House was demolished in except for its out-buildings.
  • 1939 The War Office requisitioned the Park and Nissen huts were erected in the grounds. Canadian then British units were stationed there.
  • 1946 The huts were utilised by the Council as temporary accommodation for Council tenants. The buildings were demolished as tenants were moved into prefabs
  • 1947 Nork Park was purchased by the Banstead U.D.C. for use as a public open space. The remaining stables, garages were demolished.


The local community organises a popular open-air music festival called "Music in the Park" that runs one afternoon every summer.