Pages in Vehicle licensing
- 1. Vehicles licensing
- 2. Hackney Carriage Vehicle New Application
- 3. You are here: Hackney Carriage Vehicle Renewal Application
3. Hackney Carriage Vehicle Renewal Application
This page is intended for renewing Hackney Carriage Vehicles not new vehicles.
Please Note: On 9 April 2018 we changed our licensing software system and as such our ways of working have also changed. If you have licenced a vehicle before with us please be aware that we no longer issue a Vehicle Declaration Document. As such you do not need to present a Vehicle Declaration Document at your Depot Appointment.
To renew your licence you will need to use a new unique alphanumeric code that looks similar to this e.g NJT0LWMV0K890. If you do not have a code similar to this on a recent email from the licensing team please call licensing on 01737 276672 and we will provide you with this code so you can proceed with your licence renewal. The earliest you will be able to use your code to renew your licence is 3 months before your expiry date. The vehicle may be booked in for an inspection up to 28 days before the expiry date.
For a summary of what our new system changes are clicking here.
Four stage application process
You will be bound by the terms below, so please ensure you read and understand the full procedure information before applying.
Stage 1) Read and understand our Policy, Conditions and Regulations concerning Vehicle Licensing.
We have put extensive information regarding the licensing process, our fees, our policies and condition on our webpages to help our customers. We strongly advise all customers to read and understand our licensing webpages relevant to your application before proceeding to apply for a licence.
Stage 2) Check you have the required information, documents and means of making payment before commencing you application.
In Stage 3 you will make your online application and payment to us via a webform hosted by a company called Idox. In Stage 4 you will need to book and pay for your vehicle appointment at our depot. We recommend you ensure you have the following to hand before starting to make you application.
- Means of making an online payment e.g credit or debit card and you have the permission of the card holder to do so.
- Have your online renewal code (we would have emailed this to you).
- Know the vehicle registration.
- Vehicle Bill of Sale (not required at application phase BUT will need to present at the depot at your appointment).
- Vehicle Insurance Documents (not required at application phase BUT will need to present at the depot at your appointment).
- Vehicle Log Book, minimum required V5C green slip if full log book not held. (not required at application phase BUT will need to present at the depot at your appointment).
- Our Guide to Making a Application Guidance Document.
Please note: If your licence has expired you will not be able to renew an expired licence. You will need to make a 'new' application. The Council will not licence vehicle over the age of 7 years for 'new' applications. This is inline with the Council's policy and conditions.
Stage 3) Apply to renew a Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence.
You can apply to renew your Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence by clicking the green button below. Please see our application guidance document above to assist you with your application:
When you have made your application successfully proceed to Stage 4 below where you MUST book and pay for your appointment at our depot.
Stage 4) Book and Pay for an appointment at our depot.
Due to operational restrictions during the Covid -19 Pandemic our standard procedures have been amended to reflect government guidelines. Once your online application has been received and payment authorised, we will issue a letter of authority granting you with an extension to your PHV licence. All legislative requirements/Government guidance regarding the vehicle must still be met.