Council tax demand notice explanatory notes

Council Tax valuation bands

Most dwellings will be subject to the tax. There will be one bill per dwelling whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented.

Each dwelling has been allocated to one of eight bands according to its open market capital value at 1 April 1991. Your Council Tax bill states which band applies to your dwelling.

Valuation band

Range of values


Up to and including £40,000


£40,001 - £52,000


£52,001 - £68,000


£68,001 - £88,000


£88,001 - £120,000


£120,001 - £160,000


£160,001 - £320,000


More than £320,000

Making payment

Information on how to make a payment.

Please ensure payment is cleared by the due date. If you do not keep up with your instalments then recovery notices will be issued, and costs will be incurred if it reaches the stage of a summons being issued. If you have difficulty in paying, please contact us as soon as possible, do not wait for a recovery notice - we may be able to arrange an alternative payment schedule, or you may be entitled to a reduction.

Exemptions and discounts

Information on exemptions and discounts.

Unoccupied properties

Information on unoccupied properties - discounts and premium charges

Care leavers

With effect from 1 April 2020, young people leaving care in Reigate & Banstead who are living alone or with other care leavers are eligible for full reduction until their 25th birthday. If they are living with another adult who is not a care leaver, the reduction will be 50%.


An annexe or similar self-contained part of a property is likely to be banded separately for Council Tax

An exemption may be applicable on the Council Tax charge for the annexe in the following circumstances: 1. If the annexe is unoccupied and cannot be let separately to the main home without breaching planning conditions; or 2. If the annexe is occupied as their main residence by a dependent relative of someone who is resident in the main dwelling - the dependent relative must be either over the age of 65, severely mentally impaired, or substantially and permanently disabled.

From April 2014, if the annexe is used as part of the main home or occupied by another family member then a 50% discount may be applicable on the Council Tax charge for the annexe. 

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

If you are on a low income, even if you own your own home, the Council Tax Reduction scheme could help towards some or all of your Council Tax bill. If you feel you may qualify for Council Tax Reduction but have not yet applied, please do so straight away as applications cannot normally be backdated.

Apply online for Council Tax Reduction. If you are housebound, you can arrange a home visit by phoning 01737 276 000.

If you are receiving Council Tax Reduction, you must report any changes which could affect your level of support within 21 days of the change. Examples include changes in income, changes in capital or someone moving into or out of your home. The Council may take action against you if you fail to report a change, and you may face a penalty or prosecution.

Changes can be reported in writing, or by online form. Further information can also be found at:

Contacting the Council Tax department

Information on contacting the Council Tax department.

My Council Tax account

Register for the My Council Tax online account service to view and manage your Council Tax account, and sign up for e-billing.

Difficulty paying Council Tax

Advice for payment difficulties webpage.

Recovery procedures

Information on recovery procedures.


Information on making an appeal.

Use of Council Tax and Benefits data

The Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and to this end may use the information you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud.

It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. Data may also be supplied to a credit rating agency, and Council Tax or Housing Benefit fraud investigations could possibly include checks on discount fraud and undeclared cohabiters.

It is therefore important that you advise the Council of any change in circumstances as soon as possible. The Council may also share any data it receives in connection with benefits or Council Tax with other departments within the Council.

Further information is available in the privacy notice.