Published Friday, 26th May 2023
Cllr Richard Biggs has been elected Leader of Reigate and Banstead Borough Council at the Annual Council meeting held at the Town Hall on Thursday 25 May 2023.
He has appointed Cllr Victor Lewanski, ward Councillor for Reigate, as Deputy Leader.
Cllr Biggs also appointed a new Executive, which has nine members including himself and the Deputy Leader. They are:
- Cllr Richard Biggs - Council Leader
- Cllr Victor Lewanski – Deputy Leader and Exectuive Member for Finance, Governance and Organisation
- Cllr Rich Michalowski – Executive Member for Place, Planning and Regulatory Services
- Cllr Hannah Avery - Executive Member for Neighbourhood Services
- Cllr Caroline Neame - Executive Member for Housing and Support
- Cllr Rod Ashford – Executive Member for Communities, Leisure and Culture
- Cllr Andrew King - Executive Member for Commercial and Community Assets
- Cllr James King – Executive Member for Corporate Policy and Resources
- Cllr Nadean Moses – Executive Member for Environment and Sustainability
Cllr Biggs, currently the ward councillor for Horley West and Sidlow, replaces Cllr Mark Brunt who chose to retire at the recent elections after serving as a Councillor for almost 20 years, five of them as Leader. Cllr Lewanski replaces former Deputy Leader, Cllr Tony Schofield.
Following his election as Leader Cllr Biggs said: “A Council is a complicated thing. And it’s certainly a lot of work. As Councillors we represent our electors, and we must choose how best to meet their needs and serve their interests.
“As I begin as Leader, I know that we have a lot to do. Our Council is in a strong position, thanks to my predecessors, and all of our great staff.
“I look forward to the challenge ahead and to working with my fellow councillors and council staff in the years to come.”
Cllr Biggs has been elected as Leader for a period of four years.
Previously the Executive Member for Planning Policy and Place Delivery, Cllr Biggs moved to Horley in 2011 where he served as a town councillor before being elected to the Borough Council in 2018. A former Scout Leader and an active member of the Round Table, Cllr Biggs also worked in the lighting industry, managing various projects in Europe, the Middle East, and China.
In the past two years, Cllr Biggs has been directly involved in several Council development schemes including The Rise - the soon to open leisure and entertainment venue in Redhill – as well as Wheatley Court, which was awarded ’best large social housing development for the South East region’ by the Local Authority Building Control (LABC).
In taking up his role as Leader, Cllr Biggs paid tribute to outgoing Leader Cllr Brunt and thanked him for his achievements during his five years as Leader.