Published Tuesday, 8th September 2020
If you live in Merstham or use Merstham Recreation Ground, the Council would like to hear your ideas for improving it.
The Council is planning a £1.5 million project to refurbish the park, located between Weldon Way and Albury Road.
It has developed some initial ideas about what the new-look Merstham Rec could include and how it could look and is asking the community for their views as part of a public consultation, which runs until 5 October.
The suggestions for improvements include:
- a new pavilion with changing rooms and a community room for functions
- better play facilities for children of all ages and abilities with a range of exciting equipment and opportunities for natural play
- a community garden as a place to meet and hold events with seating, colourful and scented plants and a community orchard
- improved paths for walking, running and cycling and that are accessible to connect areas of the park and the wider area
- wildlife areas to encourage wildlife and to help visitors enjoy nature
- better and more parking for people who may be visiting to play sport or use the facilities.
What's important to you?
Cllr Mrs Natalie Bramhall, Executive Member for Neighbourhood Services, said: “We know Merstham Rec is an important open space for local people, as well as for people who come from other areas to use it, and is due a facelift to better meet the local community’s needs.
“We want to make improvements so that more people can enjoy the open space and use its facilities, whether it’s to walk the dog, exercise, meet and relax or just enjoy the outdoors.
“To start the community thinking about what the refurbishment might include, we have developed some initial ideas and a plan of what the Rec could look like. If you live in Merstham or use Merstham Rec, we really want to hear from you so please complete the survey so that we know what is important to you as we develop the plans further.”
The Council will be writing to residents surrounding the park and engaging with local groups to make sure they have the opportunity to take part in the consultation.
Following the consultation, the Council will look at the ideas and comments received and then plans to set up a community focus group with local people later in the year to develop the plans further (subject to COVID-19 guidelines at the time). We will keep residents updated on progress as the plans progress
The building works are anticipated to start in summer 2021, with the new-look park ready to be enjoyed from early 2022.
To find out more see the Merstham Recreation Ground refurbishment page.