High hedges

We can consider complaints about high hedges but involving us should be a last resort and you should first try to resolve any problems yourself.


For more information please see the Mediation Surrey CIO or email info@mediationsurrey.org. You can also call 0330 1340 260.

Submitting a high hedge complaint

The hedge in question must be formed wholly or predominately by a line of two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs and be of a height of more than two metres above ground level and not have significant gaps.

A complaint can only be considered after mediation has been attempted and all reasonable attempts to resolve the high hedge issues have been exhausted, then an assessment can be made where there is an unreasonable impact upon the amenity of occupiers of a residential property.

For further information read through the high hedges guidance notes (PDF) before submitting a complaint, this will help you to work out if you have a legitimate complaint.

Complaint form

There is a fee for making a high hedge complaint and this will need to be paid on submission of the high hedge complaint form below:

Submit a high hedge complaint (PDF)