I am a care leaver, what are my housing options

  • If you are under 18, Social Services may be able to help you find accommodation until you turn 18
  • If you are 18,19 or 20 and homeless, the Council will be able to offer you help with finding accommodation

Help from your Personal Advisor

  • Before you leave care, you are given a pathway plan which sets out what support you may need to live independently.
  • You can visit the gov.uk website to find out more about pathway plans
  • You are allocated a personal advisor. It is thier job to make sure you are claiming everything you are entitled to. They can also help you with application forms for: housing, benefits, training courses and education. They should also help you with learning various life skills such as learning how to budget.
  • Your personal advisor should stay in contact with you and provide ongoing support until you reach the age of 21, or until you turn 25 if you are still studying full time.
  • If you don’t have a personal adviser, make sure you seek advice from the Council or Shelter. You may still be able to get a personal adviser even if you didn’t get one while you were still in care.

Download the factsheet below to access detailed information and advice about your possible housing options and other advice such as financial support and contact details of organisations who specifically support care leavers:

I am a care leaver, what are my housing options PDF