Temporary Events Notices

Pages in Temporary Events Notices

  1. 1. You are here: Temporary Events Notices
  2. 2. TEN useful information

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is required to carry out licensable activities on unlicensed premises or to operate outside the terms of an existing Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate.

Licensable activities

  • the sale or supply of alcohol
  • regulated entertainment (i.e. music, singing or dancing)
  • the provision of late night refreshment (hot food or drink between the hours of 2300 and 0500).

Important Information 

Before using our online form, please read the information below before making your application:

  • There are two types of TEN: a standard TEN and a late TEN. A standard TEN is given no later than 10 working days before the event. A late TEN is given between 5 and 9 working days before the event. (working days do not include, bank holidays, submission day or day of event).
  • The number of times a person may give a late temporary event notice is 10 times per year for a personal licence holder and 2 times per year for other people.
  • A TEN may be sought for an event involving up to 499 people (including any performers or staff). If greater numbers are anticipated a full licence will be needed.
  • A TEN maximum duration is 168 hours (7 days)
  • Only 15 notices can be given for any premises or part of a premises in a calendar year. Increased to 20 during 2022 and 2023.
  • The total duration in days of any notices given must not add up to more than 21 days within the calendar year, any event that continues beyond midnight will be counted as two days. Increased to 26 days during 2022 and 2023.
  • You, your spouse, associate, relative or business partner may not submit a 2nd TEN less than 24 hours before a previous submission (2nd TEN would be refused). 
  • An electronic acknowledgement of receipt is given when you submit the notice online.
  • Only the Police or Environmental Protection may object within three working days not counting the day on which they received their copy of the TEN.
  • If an objection is received then a Licensing Sub Committee hearing will be arranged to consider the Notice and the objection, unless it is a late TEN then it would be automatically invalid and the event would be unlicensed.

Notifying us about a temporary event (TEN) online

TENs can be submitted to the Council by using our new online form below.

Before making your application please have to hand the following:

  • Credit or debit card available to pay the £21 fee.
  • Your National Insurance Number.  
  • If your TEN relates to a licenced premises you will need to know the licence number.
  • If you currently hold a valid personal licence you will need to know the licence number and date of issue.

Give a Temporary Event Notice online 

On submission of your TEN copies are automatically submitted to the Police and Environmental Protection for their comment. You will not receive a signed copy of your TEN from the Council but you must have a copy of your TEN at the event. 

Supporting Documentation

There are not statutory requirements to supply any supporting documents.

Further Information (Help and advice)

Please see the link below regarding alcohol licensing and TENs.

Please note we have now turned off the ability to submit a TEN via the gov.uk online forms.