Vary or transfer a premises licence

Pages in Vary or transfer a premises licence

  1. 1. You are here: Minor variation
  2. 2. Full variation
  3. 3. Transfer of a premise licence

1. Minor variation

On this page you can make a minor variation/change to your premise licence. 

The changes that can be dealt with by a minor variation application include:

  • minor changes to the structure or layout of premises.
  • small adjustments to the licensing hours.
  • the removal of out-of-date irrelevant or unenforceable conditions or adding volunteered conditions.
  • the addition of certain licensable activities.
  • the removal of a licensable activity.

The minor variations process can't be used to:

  • add the retail or supply of alcohol to a licence.
  • extend licensing hours for the sale or supply of alcohol at any time between 11pm and 7am.
  • increase the amount of time during which alcohol may be sold by retail or supplied on any day.
  • extend the period for which the licence or certificate has effect.
  • transfer the licence or certificate from one premises to another or vary substantially the premises to which it relates.
  • specify, in a premises licence, an individual as the premises supervisor.
  • add the sale by retail or supply of alcohol as an activity authorised by a licence or certificate.
  • disapply the mandatory conditions relating to a designated premises supervisor (there is a separate process by which community premises can apply for this).

Many small variations to layout will have no adverse impact on the licensing objectives. However, layout changes that have an adverse impact on the licensing objectives should be referred to the full variation process.

Please refer to the Guide on variations (Gov.UK) if you are unsure which type of variation your proposed change falls under.

Important Information

Before making your application using our online form please note the following below.

  • Please ensure you have a credit or debit card available to pay the correct fee.  
  • Know your premise licence number e.g. 17/12345/LAPREM.
  • Know key licence holder information e.g. name, address, email address etc.
  • Know the relevant details of the variation you require.


A white notice must be put on display in a prominent position at the premise (i.e. front window/door) for a period of ten working days starting on the working day after the application was given to the licensing authority.
Further guidance on the content of the notice and suggested template can be found under ‘Advertise the application’  in section 2 of ‘Apply for a new premises licence’.

Supporting Documentation

If changes are proposed to the layout then a new premise plan will need to be uploaded into the online form on the 'Upload Files' page, otherwise no supporting documents are required.

Make a minor variation

Apply for a minor variation 

What happens next

When we receive your application we will consider whether the variation could impact adversely on the licensing objectives.

On receipt and whilst considering the application, we may consult relevant responsible authorities if there is any doubt about the impact of the variation on the licensing objectives and if we need specialist advice. In this case we will take their views into account before reaching a decision (for example we may need to consult the environmental health officer on an application with possible public nuisance implications).

You should be aware that in the case of minor variations, there is no right to a hearing, but we must take any relevant representations into account in arriving at a decision.

We must wait until this ten working day period has elapsed before determining the application, but must do so at the latest within 15 working days, beginning on the first working day after receiving the application, with effect either that:

  • the minor variation is granted; or

  • the application is refused