Unpaid Council Tax

Pages in Unpaid Council Tax

  1. 1. What happens if you don't pay
  2. 2. You are here: Difficulty paying Council Tax

2. Difficulty paying Council Tax

First make sure you are claiming any discounts, exemptions or council tax benefit you are entitled to.

If you are claiming all you are entitled to and are still having difficulty paying, contact our Council Tax team on 01737 276779 (open 08:45 - 12:00 midday, Monday to Friday) or by email to council.tax@reigate-banstead.gov.uk .

Do not leave the matter until recovery action begins. This may result in a summons being issued and extra costs being incurred, even where an arrangement for payment has been agreed. We would much rather talk to you about any difficulties you have in paying.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, there are organisations that can offer advice and support:

Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB) offer free and confidential advice, face to face or by phone. Most CABs also offer home visits and give some email advice.

  • CAB website
  • 08444 111 444
  • Text relay users should call 08444 111 445

National Debtline

National Debtline is a free, confidential service offering independent advice about dealing with debt. You can get information online or by calling the free helpline.

The Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service is an independent service, set up by the Government to help people make the most of their money. They give free, unbiased money advice online, over the phone and face to face.

StepChange Debt Charity

StepChange Debt Charity provides free and impartial advice on how to deal with your debts. They’ve been providing debt advice for over 20 years, helped more than 2 million people and can recommend a debt solution that’s right for your individual circumstances.

Other help

If you are experiencing financial hardship and are unable to pay, you may be able to get a reduction in your ongoing Council Tax instalment plan. This is a discretionary reduction based on your individual circumstances. To apply, please complete the online form at the link below. You will also need to provide at least two months of recent statements from any bank accounts (including savings accounts) held by any of the people who are liable for Council Tax at your property - please provide these either by email to council.tax@reigate-banstead.gov.uk , or by post to the Council Tax department at the Town Hall.

Reigate Town Hall
Castlefield Road