What can go in each container

Pages in What can go in each container

  1. 1. What can go in each container
  2. 2. Food recycling container
  3. 3. Paper and cardboard recycling box
  4. 4. Mixed recycling bin
  5. 5. You are here: Refuse bin
  6. 6. Garden waste bin

5. Refuse bin

Please recycle as much as possible. We will collect your refuse bin every other week. We will only collect one refuse bin with the lid closed.

Yes please

  • Rubbish that cannot be recycled
  • Nappies (in plastic or nappy bags)
  • Pet litter (in plastic bags)
  • Plastic bags and film e.g. plastic carrier bags, plastic film, salad bags, bread bags
  • Polystyrene
  • Bubble wrap
  • Sanitary items
  • Chinaware, plates, mugs etc
  • Mirrors, window panes, glass cookware, glasses etc (securely wrapped)
  • Polystyrene trays
  • Pet Food packets
  • Crisp packets
  • Sweet wrappers
  • Black bin bags
  • Plastic tubes e.g. toothpaste
  • Cling Film

No thanks

  • Anything that you can recycle or reuse
  • Garden waste
  • Food waste
  • Paper and cardboard
  • Domestic DIY waste
  • Items heavier than 15 kg
  • Bricks and rubble
  • Soil and stones
  • Paint tins
  • Large items e.g. furniture
  • Hot ash
  • Chemicals
  • Clinical waste and needles
  • Business waste

Container dimensions 



Refuse bin
height - 107 cm
width - 48 cm
depth - 55.5 cm

refuse bin


Standard domestic refuse bin is a 140 litre bin. If you currently use a larger 240 litre and would like a smaller bin we will gladly exchange the bin for free.

If you move or your property does not have any bins

Reigate & Banstead introduced refuse bins in 1997. All properties were provided with refuse bins at this time and should remain with the property.

If you are moving house you will need to check whether the previous occupier is leaving their bins. If your property does not have the correct containers for collection you, as the resident, will need to purchase a new 140 litre refuse bin. The containers must be compatible with Reigate & Banstead's specifications, please contact our help line.

If you are moving into a brand-new home the developer is responsible to provide the required containers.