Private Hire Operators
Pages in Private Hire Operators
- 1. You are here: Private Hire New Operators
- 2. Private Hire Renewing Operators
1. Private Hire New Operators
This page is intended for customers that do not currently hold a operators licence with us.
Six stage application process
You will be bound by the terms below, so please ensure you read and understand all the stages below before you apply.
Stage 1) Read and understand our policy, conditions and regulations concerning private hire licensing.
We have put extensive information regarding the licensing process, our fees, our policies and condition on our webpages to help our customers. We strongly advise all customers to read and understand our licensing application advice webpages relevant to your application before you apply for a licence.
Key information is contained within our Private Hire Policy and Conditions Policy (PDF).
Before a licence will be granted you will be invited to attend an interview (stage 5) where you will be asked how you intend to ensure compliance with private hire regulations, policies and conditions. This will take approximately one hour. It is expected that in making your application you will have already prepared for this and supplied the relevant documents and will be able to answer the officers questions and provide the necessary additional documentation. Any failure to do so will lead to a delay in the application process and may even result in your application being refused.
Stage 2) Criminal record checks.
As part of your online application you may be required to upload a copy of a Basic or Enhanced Disclosure Criminal Records check for all directors or business partners named in the application. You can apply online for the basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland. If the applicant or anyone else named in the application has already undergone a criminal records check as part of a driver licence application then a basic disclosure will not be required.
For further information prior to making a formal application to become a Private Hire Operator, you can email any questions you may have to firstname.lastname@example.org where an officer will contact you.
Stage 3) Check you have the required information, documents and means of making payment before commencing your application.
In stage 4 you will make your online application and payment to us via a webform hosted by a company called Idox. We recommend you ensure you have the following to hand before starting to make you application.
- Means of making an online payment e.g credit or debit card and you have the permission of the card holder to do so.
- Evidence of your Right to Work in the United Kingdom e.g Passport, Biometric card etc.
- Your tax check code - Complete a tax check.
- If applicable, Information on any offences or convictions e.g what it was for, when it was, what was the outcome etc.
- If you have previously made any applications to be an Operator with us or another authority you will need to provide the details.
- If applicable, electronic copies of any required Basic or Enhanced Disclosure Criminal Records checks in digital form to upload (PDFs or photographs are fine)
- If applicable, electronic copies of any Public Liability Insurance only where there is provision of an area available to the public e.g. reception area/waiting area etc
- Access to your online booking records system with screen shots, or your hardbacked dated logbook with required headings. Please refer to our policy document for further information
- Image of your lost property log
- Image of your complaints log and procedure
- Our guide to making an application guidance document.
Interview discussion points
- You will be asked to demonstrate how you will be running your business to ensure compliance with our Policy and Conditions.
- What system you will use to record your bookings. You will need to ensure records are suitably recorded, retained and not be able to be altered or deleted. You will need to bring examples to demonstrate how your booking system meets the conditions attached to a licence. This could be by bringing in any relevant books or paperwork, print outs of screen shots or if the system can be accessed on your laptop you can screen share to give us a live demonstration of the booking system
- Deregulation Act 2015 in regard to sub-contracting and an operator's responsibilities
- Disability awareness
- Child sexual exploitation and safeguarding measures
To assist you in making your application we have developed a guidance document with handy hints and a walkthrough screen by screen of the online application process. We strongly recommend you familiarise yourself with this document prior to making our application in Stage 4.
Stage 4) Apply for a new operator licence.
You can apply for an Operator Licence via the green button below:
Stage 5) Attend an interview with a Licensing Officer.
After your application has been reviewed by a Licensing Officer, this can take up to 20 working days from your application submission, you will be invited to attend an interview with a Licensing Officer.
At this meeting we will discuss your application and supporting documents and how you will meet the licensing requirements of a Operator Licenced by Reigate & Banstead Borough Council.
Stage 6) Become Licensed.
Once all enquiries have been completed and we are satisfied you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence we will finalise your application. After an administration processing period we will be able to create your licence. We will then email you your Licence. There is no need to call licensing yourself, we will contact you as the administration processing period can vary depending on applicant numbers.