Pages in Modern slavery
3. Spot the signs
Here are some signs to look for that may indicate modern slavery:
- Appear malnourished or unkempt
- Withdrawn, anxious or agitated
- Frightened or hesitant to talk, avoid eye contact
- Signs of physical or psychological abuse
- Wear the same clothes each day, that may not be suitable for their work.
- Rarely interact with others
- Unfamiliar with neighbourhood or the area where they work
- Seem under the control of others
- Dropped off/collected from work, perhaps at unusual hours.
Lack of control
- Few or no personal possessions
- Not in control of ID documents, money or bank account
- Not allowed or able to speak for themselves.
- Dirty, cramped or over-crowded accommodation
- Living and working at the same place
- Number of employees at a business compared to fees charged suggests workers won’t be earning minimum wage.