High hedges

You can officially complain to the Council about a high hedge on a neighbouring property in this section of the website.

You can download a form and guidance notes on making a complaint about the hedge.


However, making a formal complaint should always be a last resort and you are advised to try mediation first. For more information please see the Mediation Surrey CIO  or email info@mediationsurrey.org. You can also call 0330 1 340 260.

Guidance notes

High Hedges complaint form and guidance notes (PDF) - will help you to work out if you have a legitimate complaint.

The Council and other local authorities gained powers to deal with disputes over high hedges on 1 June 2005, when Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 came into force.

Further information

Information and frequently asked questions:

Complaint form