Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
For the latest information regarding COVID-19 and our services, then please see our website coronavirus.
Advice about allotments and how to get started
Number of allotments available in the borough
- We currently have 24 allotment sites across the borough with over one thousand plots.
- Allotments are provided as full or half plots.
- A full plot is 250 square metres and a half plot is 125 square metres.
- Map showing allotment locations - Google maps.
There are currently waiting lists for all sites.
- You can add your name to the waiting list by completing our online application form
- You may put your name on the list for more than one site and we suggest that you choose sites near to where you live.
The cost of hiring an allotment
- all new tenants pay a £50 deposit at the start of tenancy. This is refundable at the end of tenancy subject to satisfactory inspection of plot condition
- the charges for 2022 will be £95 for a full plot and £47.50 for a half plot
- odd sized plots are charged per square metre
- fees are invoiced annually in December for the following year and payment must be received by 1 January
Allocation of plots
When you have reached the top of the waiting list for your chosen site, we will contact you by email or telephone and give you details of the site steward who you will contact to arrange to meet on site to view the plot.
The process and timescales for setting up a tenancy is as follows:
- complete and submit a formal application for a specific plot
- council prepares tenancy documentation for signature, information pack and invoice
- prospective tenant signs tenancy agreement and sends this back to the council
- prospective tenant collects key from site steward
- this process can take up to a fortnight depending on how quickly documentation is returned
Once an agreement has been signed and returned to the Council, cultivation can start.
Sheds and greenhouses
At most sites, subject to certain conditions and with written permission from the council, tenants are allowed to erect a shed and/or a greenhouse on their plot. Sheds can be no larger than 6'x4' and greenhouses no larger than 6' x 8'. Greenhouses must be polycarbonate glazed.
All sites have gates that are locked with padlock and chain. All tenants are issued with a key.
All sites are managed by staff employed by Reigate & Banstead Borough Council. The council also appoints a volunteer steward for most sites.
Three inspections a year are carried out to ensure that plots are being cultivated appropriately. A maximum of three letters will be sent to plot holders in the event of non cultivation.
In the event that this has not resolved the issue, the tenancy will cease and the plot will revert to the Council.
Details about sites and their location
- all sites have shared taps located around the site and some taps also have water tanks
- the water is turned off during winter to prevent frozen or burst pipes - it is normally turned back on in April each year
- tenants can provide water storage containers on their plot
Sites with plots for tenants with disabilities
Batts Hill, Holly Lane, and Wiggie Lane allotment sites have plots that are designed for plot holders that are elderly and/or have a disability. These are in the form of raised beds; they have access all round and are at an easily accessible height.
Most sites have a parking area - cars should not be parked on plots or paths except when making a delivery.
On some sites manure is available by arrangement with fellow plot holders or the steward.
ubject to agreement with the council and certain conditions, plot holders can keep chickens and bees.
Location of sites
- Holly Lane Allotments, Banstead
- Lambert Road Allotments, Banstead
- Parsonfield Road Allotments, Banstead
- Partridge Mead Allotments, Bridgefield Close, Banstead
- Tattenham Way Allotments, Banstead
- Brambletye Park Road, Earlswood
- Maple Road Allotments, Earlswood
- Princes Road Allotments, Earlswood
- Smithy Lane Allotments, Lower Kingswood
- Merstham Allotments, Weldon Way, Merstham
- Batts Hill Allotments, Redhill
- Brambletye Park Road Allotments, Redhill
- Colesmead Allotments, Gatton Park Road, Redhill
- Highlands Allotments, Hatchlands Rd, Redhill
- Redstone Hill Allotments, Nutfield Rd, Redhill
- Wiggie Lane Allotments, Redhill
- New Pond Farm Allotments, Woodhatch Road
- Park Lane Allotments, Park Lane, Reigate
- Park Lane Extension, Park Lane, Reigate
- Park Lane East Allotments, South Park
- Riding School Allotments, Prices Lane, Woodhatch
- The Paddock, Woodhatch Road
- Merland Rise Allotments, Tadworth
- Lakers Rise Allotments, Woodmansterne
- The Park Allotments, Carshalton Road, Woodmansterne
Greenspaces team email: firstname.lastname@example.org