Borough Council Elections
Pages in Borough Council Elections
- 1. You are here: Borough, Town and Parish Council elections 2023
- 2. Notices and nominations
- 3. Becoming a Borough Councillor Candidate
- 4. Becoming a Town and or Parish Councillor Candidate
- 5. Apply to work at elections
1. Borough, Town and Parish Council elections 2023
On 4 May 2023, one third of Reigate & Banstead Borough Council seats will be up for election. Electors will vote for one candidate in each ward.
Register to vote
Your name must be on the Electoral Register before you can vote in local and national elections and referendums.
The deadline for registering to vote in time for these elections is midnight on Monday 17 April 2023.
Registering to vote takes only five minutes. If you're not already registered to vote, you can apply online at: www.gov.uk/registertovote.
How will you vote?
- In person - going to the polling station to vote on polling day. Photo ID will be required in polling stations for the elections on 4 May 2023.
- By post - we will send you a postal voting pack so you can complete your ballot paper at home and return it by post. Apply by 5pm on Tuesday 18 April.
- By proxy - appointing a person to vote on your behalf at your polling station. The deadline to apply is 5pm on Tuesday 25 April.
How you vote in polling stations is changing
The government has passed new legislation which requires voters to provide photo identification in polling stations in order to vote.
The following forms of photo ID will be acceptable:
- a passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state, or a Commonwealth country
- a driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state
- a biometric immigration document
- an identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
- a Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
- a Blue Badge
- a national identity card issued by an EEA state
- an Older Person’s Bus Pass
- a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
- an Oyster 60+ Card
- a Freedom Pass
- a Scottish National Entitlement Card issued in Scotland
- a 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
- a Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
- a Senior SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a War Disablement SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- an Electoral Identity Card issued in Northern Ireland
Expired photographic identification documents can still be used as accepted photographic ID , as long as the photograph is still a good likeness of the elector.
If you don't have one of the forms of photo ID listed above, you can apply online for a free Voter Authority Certificate - GOV.UK website, or, you can complete and return a paper application by post to:
Electoral Services Office
Application forms are available to download from the government website:
The deadline for applications for Voter Authority Certificates will be 5pm, 6 working days ahead of a poll. For the elections in May 2023 the Voter Authority Certificate application deadline is 5pm, Tuesday 25 April 2023.
Electors who do not produce a Voter Authority Certificate or a suitable photographic ID will not be allowed to vote on the day.
Seats up for election
The following seats will be up for election on 4 May 2023:
Reigate and Banstead Borough Council elections
|Chipstead, Kingswood and Woodmansterne||1|
|Earlswood and Whitebushes||1|
|Hooley, Merstham and Netherne||1|
|Horley Central and South||1|
|Horley East and Salfords||1|
|Horley West and Sidlow||1|
|Lower Kingswood, Tadworth and Walton||1|
|Meadvale and St John's||1|
|Redhill West and Wray Common||1|
|South Park and Woodhatch||1|
|Tattenham Corner and Preston||1|
Horley Town Council elections
|Horley Central North||2|
|Horley Upper North||1|
Salfords and Sidlow Parish Council elections
|Salfords and Sidlow No. 1||6|
|Salfords and Sidlow No. 2||1|
|Salfords and Sidlow No. 3||1|
For more information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org