Local Development Framework
This section is intended to help people looking for information about the council's Local Development Framework.
The Local Development Framework (LDF) is intended to better engage the community and reflect a broader range of strategies and plans published by other agencies not traditionally involved in planning. It goes beyond traditional land use planning, and focuses on an area based ‘spatial planning’ approach.
The LDF is a folder of documents called Local Development Documents (LDDs). Documents with development plan status will be known as Development Plan Documents (DPDs). Other guidance will be known as Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs).
Development Plan Documents, are subject to Independent Examination before they can be adopted, to ensure they are sound documents in both their content and the way they are produced and are founded on a robust evidence base.
All Local Development Documents are required to be subject to a Sustainability Appraisal (SA) and Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) to ensure that they contribute to achieving sustainable development.
Recent changes to the planning system
National Planning Policy Framework
The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) was published on 27 March 2012. It replaces planning policy statements (PPSs) and planning policy guidance notes (PPGs). Further information about the NPPF is available on the Department of Communities and Local Government website:
The majority of the South East Plan has been officially revoked as of the 25 March 2013. The remaining policy is not relevant to Reigate & Banstead Borough Council.
Sub regional strategy
The Gatwick Diamond Initiative, set up in 2003, and now a well established public/private partnership, has provided a forum within which the local authorities could debate the strategic issues which link their communities together. Local authorities within the Gatwick Diamond have prepared a ‘Local Strategic Statement’, building on the joint working of recent years. It was prepared against a backdrop of the Localism Bill and the duties and responsibilities proposed, particularly for local authorities. In particular it responds to the proposed ‘duty to cooperate’ with respect to the planning of sustainable development.
- Gatwick Diamond Local Strategic Statement (PDF document [504.4Kb]) (pdf)
- Gatwick Diamond LSS SEA/SA Statement (PDF document [2.6Mb]) (pdf)
- Gatwick Diamond Memorandum of Understanding (PDF document [449.8Kb]) (pdf)
Development Plan Documents (DPDs)
Background information and supplementary documents
- Annual Monitoring Report (AMR)
- LDF Evidence Base
- Local Development Scheme (LDS)
- Sustainability Appraisal (SA)
- Statement of Community Involvement (SCI)
- Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs)
LDF newsletters provide information on the progress of the LDF. The February 2012 Planning for the Future newsletter is available below.
Previous Planning for the Future newsletters are also available.
- Planning for the Future Newsletter May 2006 (PDF document [42.7Kb])
- Planning for the Future Newsletter December 2006 (PDF document [40.7Kb])
- Planning for the Future Newsletter Summer 2007 (PDF document [129.5Kb])
- Planning for the Future Newsletter January 2008 (PDF document [132.5Kb])
- Planning for the Future Newsletter June 2008 (PDF document [55Kb])
- Planning for the Future Newsletter September 2009 (PDF document [266.5Kb])
- Planning for the Future Newsletter June 2010 (PDF document [214Kb])
- Planning for the Future Newsletter February 2011 (PDF document [29.1Kb])
Links to further information
ContactIf you require any further information, please contact the Policy Team on 01737 276000 or email LDF@reigate-banstead.gov.uk
Last updated : 25/03/2013