Private landlord information

Pages in Private landlord information

  1. 1. Letting your property
  2. 2. NextStep - Landlord service scheme
  3. 3. You are here: Advice on housing conditions / landlord responsibilities
  4. 4. Tenant immigration checks

3. Advice on housing conditions / landlord responsibilities

Five Year Electrical Check

As of 1 July 2020, landlords must ensure their fixed electrical installation is inspected and tested at least every 5 years by a qualified person to ensure they are safe. The initial inspections need to be carried out before any new tenancy is granted from 1 July 2020, and 1 April 2021 for existing tenancies.

Landlords failing to provide tenants with an electrical safety report at the start of their tenancies will be in breach of the regulations and may face a civil penalty of up to a maximum of £30,000, with the potential for multiple penalties to be imposed for a continuing failure.

Read the government’s electrical safety standards guidance

From 1 October 2015, all private sector landlords are required to:

  • maintain the structure and exterior of the property.
  • fit smoke alarms on every floor and carbon monoxide alarms in rooms with appliances using solid fuels – such as coal and wood – and make sure they are working at the start of your tenancy. If they are not there, ask your landlord to install them.
  • deal with any problems with the water, electricity and gas supply
  • maintain any appliances and furniture they have supplied.
  • carry out most repairs. If something is not working, report it to your landlord or agent as soon as you can.
  • arrange an annual gas safety check by a Gas Safe engineer (where there are any gas appliances).
  • give at least 24 hours’ notice of visits for things like repairs – the landlord cannot walk in whenever they like.
  • get a licence for the property if it is a licensable property, such as a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). Find out more about HMO and how to license a property.
  • ensure the property is at a minimum of EPC energy efficiency band E (unless a valid exemption applies).
  • Read the government’s how to let guide
  • Read the government’s how to rent a safe home guide

Environmental Health Team

Our Environmental Health Team can offer advice and information to landlords about repairs, housing standards and Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).

Contact the team on 01737 276 406, visit the Private sector housing pages on the website, or email