Role title: Count Assistant
Department: Electoral Services
Employed by: Returning Officer
Reporting to: Senior Count Assistant
Working as part of a team to sort and count ballot papers quickly but accurately whilst under pressure and under observation of candidates and agents.
Hours of Work: varies according to the type of election. Overnight and weekend working is common.
Contract Type: Casual / Temporary
Pre-employment checks: eligibility to work within the UK, and proof of your identity. Please note that to work in a count you cannot be employed by or work on behalf of an election candidate or political party.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Arrive in time for briefing and training session at the count
- Must have read and agreed the terms of the Statement of Secrecy
- Work in a team as designated by the Returning Officer.
- Verify and count of the number of ballot papers in a ballot box and recount if required
- Alert the verification & count table supervisors to any doubtful papers as instructed
- Sort the ballot papers into votes for individual candidates using the method designated by the Returning Officer
- Count ballot papers by candidate and re-count if required.
- Refrain from engaging in conversations with candidates, agents or guests
- After declaration of result, clear and leave the count table tidy
- Any other count assistant related duties as required
Job Working Environment:
It may involve long hours and you must consent to working during the hours of the count in excess of the maximum working hours provided by the Working Time Directive. You must organise/provide your own transport and make your own arrangements for refreshments and meals without having to leave the count centre.
This is a customer-facing role and staff will therefore be expected to sanitise your hands and wear appropriate PPE, which we will provide, to protect staff and voters against the coronavirus.
Person specification – Essential Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- Excellent communication skills and ability to follow strict instructions
- Excellent numeracy skills, accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent administration/organisational skills and attention to detail
- Team player and possess a flexible attitude
- Punctual and reliable and calm under pressure.