Pages in Knowledge test
- 1. You are here: Private Hire Knowledge Test
- 2. Hackney Carriage
1. Private Hire Knowledge Test
To allow you to take a test safely you will be sent a link to an online platform which will allow you to complete the test in a place of your choice.
To be able to take the test you must have already applied to be a private hire driver with Reigate & Banstead Borough Council.
There are four sections, listed below, with five questions in each section:
1. Ability to navigate the local area, locate destinations and plan a route. (You may use either a map book or online tool such as google maps/app to assist you during the test)
2. Basic maths - dealing with money and fares;
4. The Official Highway Code (2022 edition) - Department for Transport, Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency. We do not provide this. You can order a copy of The Highway Code book online or buy a copy from most high street bookshops.
The time allowed is 45 minutes to answer 20 multiple choice questions, which have been spread equally amongst the topics listed above. The online format is very similar to the written sample test paper below
Below is a PDF link to a sample exam paper. We recommend that you download the sample paper so you are familiar with the type of questions we ask.
Example Map Reading Guide (PDF)
One question will appear at a time and you can move backwards and forwards or amend your answers throughout the test. Once completed the results will be displayed - at this point you cannot go back and change any answers
The pass mark is 90% (18 correct out of 20)
We recommend practising for the test. Whilst there is no limit to the number of times you can take the test, you will have to book again and pay the full fee for each test.
• Booking closes 48 hours prior to the start of the test (10:00 hrs Monday)
• Before midday on the day prior to your test, you will be sent a link to access the test. This will be sent to the email address you provided us with when you used to book the test. If you do not receive the link, check your spam or junk folders first, then contact the licensing helpline on 01737 276 672
• The link will only work at 10am on the day of the test. If you start late or have connection problems, we will not give you any extra time
If you need to amend or cancel
• If you cannot attend the test, you must contact the licensing team to arrange an alternative date, as the option to do this on your booking confirmation will not work.
• Requests to change the date should be made prior to 48 hours before the test is due.
• Cancellations and refunds will only be allowed in exceptional circumstances. Such requests must be supported by reliable evidence ie hospital appointment letter, and any refund will be made at the discretion of a senior officer.