Pages in Knowledge test
- 1. You are here: Private Hire
- 2. Hackney Carriage
1. Private Hire
To be able to take the test you must have already applied to be a private hire driver with Reigate & Banstead Borough Council.
There are four sections, listed below, with five questions in each section:
1. Ability to read a map and plan a route;
2. Basic maths - dealing with money and fares;
3. The Council’s ‘Private Hire Policy and Conditions Document' (PDF); and
4. The Official Highway Code’ - Department for Transport, Driving Standards Agency (Great Britain). (We do not provide this)
The pass mark is 100 per cent. You must answer each question correctly to pass the test.
We strongly advise that you do not sit the test unless you know how to use a street atlas (see Map Reading Guide below) or have access to an online map/app, and have studied and practiced the 4 sections mentioned above.
Below is a PDF link to a sample exam paper. We recommend that you download the sample paper so you are familiar with the type of questions we ask.
Map Reading Guide
A key part of the knowledge test is map work. We have produced a quick map reading guide, based on the Surrey Street Atlas giving worked examples of how to read and understand a map.