Apply for a taxi or private hire license
Pages in Apply for a taxi or private hire license
- 1. You are here: Who can apply for a licence?
- 2. Apply for a licence
- 3. Private Hire Driver New Applications
1. Who can apply for a licence?
To apply for a private hire driver’s licence you must:
- Be 21 years old
- Hold a UK or equivalent driving licence for at least 12 months
- Have access to a valid email address
The Council will undertake checks to ensure you are a fit and proper person to be licensed as a private hire driver.
Please see the links above to see the full application process and apply your relevant licence.
Before applying for a licence you should read the following documents which explain the Council's policy for licensing drivers:
- Private Hire Policy and Conditions (PDF)
- Hackney Carriage Policy and Conditions (PDF)
- Convictions Policy (PDF)
Licensed drivers must meet a high medical standard which is the same as the current DVLA Group 2 medical standard for vocational drivers: