Personal licence

Pages in Personal licence

  1. 1. You are here: Personal licence
  2. 2. Apply for a personal licence

Personal licences allow you to sell alcohol on behalf of any business that has a premises licence or a club premises certificate in a similar way that a driving licence allows you to drive a car. You do not have to hold a personal licence to be employed in a pub or other business that sells alcohol. Premises licensed to sell alcohol must have a designated premises supervisor, who holds a personal licence. 

Anyone who does not hold a personal licence must be authorised to sell alcohol by a personal licence holder.  Download the Authorisation form.

You need to get a personal alcohol licence if you:

  • want to sell alcohol at a premises that holds a premises licence or has a temporary event notice in force;
  • want to get more than five temporary event notices in a year; and
  • are a designated premises supervisor at a premises that holds a premises licence.

Relevant Offences

One of the requirements under the Licensing Act is that any personal licence holder appearing at Court declare that they hold a Personal Licence.  If the holder is then convicted of the offence and the court consider it relevant to his personal licence they can revoke the licence.  If charged with a relevant offence, licensees must notify the Court that they hold a Personal Licence, before the end of their first appearance in a court in connection with the offence.  Applicants and licence holders are also required to declare any convictions for equivalent offences committed in any place other than England and Wales – these are known as ‘foreign offences’.

Where the court was not aware of the existence of the Personal Licence, the Licence holder must as soon as reasonably practicable after the conviction, give notice to the Licensing Authority containing details of the conviction and any sentence imposed.  Failure to comply without reasonable excuse, is a summary offence punishable by a level 2 fine on the standard scale.

The offences listed here are specified as relevant offences under the Licensing Act 2003, and any convictions for these offences must be declared. Relevant offences document (PDF)  

Pre-Application Advice Service

We offer a pre-application and application advice service to support your licensing application. The aim is to help you to mitigate any problems which may arise during the application process. However, (if applicable) our advice cannot prejudge the outcome of the licensing application, especially if representations are received and a hearing takes place before the Licensing Sub-Committee. For further details please consult our licensing contact us and application advice service page

Further Information

For further information on personal licences and sale of alcohol please visit the website