Reigate & Banstead Accessibility Statement
Last updated: 26 November 2020
This website is run by Reigate & Banstead Borough Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand. You can also change colours and fonts.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
If you experience any problems accessing this website please contact [email protected] and we will try to help.
How we are measuring our website
Our website was audited by AbilityNet in January 2020 and they identified some issues which are now in a roadmap to be fixed.
Our website also uses third-party systems to provide certain online services. Although editing these is not always directly under our control, these were also included in our audit and we are now are working with our third-party suppliers to bring our full suite of online tools into compliance with WCAG 2.1 requirements.
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website providing in a different format you can contact us on the details below and we will endeavour to do our best to help you as soon as we can:
- email [email protected]
- call 01737 276000
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
How accessible is this website?
We know some areas of our web services are not yet fully accessible:
- some parts of the site are not operable by keyboard alone
- some labels in the HTML are not correctly identified
- some error messages are not clearly associated with form controls
- many documents are in PDF format and are not accessible
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Reigate & Banstead Borough Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non- compliance with the accessibility regulations
Online forms (reigatebanstead-self.achieveservice.com/)
The following issues are with our forms supplier to apply code level fixes, exact timescale of the fixes is TBC.
- Some list items are not properly declared or connected in the HTML and some radio buttons are not grouped, this fails 1.3.1 (Info and relationships)
- Some text alternatives are not set for image links and some textual descriptions are not specified for image buttons, this fails 1.1.1 (Non text content)
- The role of some form links have been defined inappropriately, this fails 2.1.1 (Keyboard)
Where I live (https://maps.reigate-banstead.gov.uk/iShare.Web/myrdrbbc.aspx)
Following the latest system update on 14 October 2020 there is one outstanding accessibility issue that remains, this is with the supplier and they aim to fix this ASAP
- Some interactive elements are not keyboard focusable, this fails 2.1.1 (keyboard)
Webcasting and Benefits Portal
The suppliers of these web services are all aware of the errors found and have confirmed that their next system updates will all be WCAG 2.1 compliant.
Next update due: TBC
- Some HTML labels, headings and list items have not been correctly declared, this fails 1.3.1 (Info and relationships)
- Colour only is used to differentiate links, this fails 1.4.1 (use of colour)
- Error messages are not connected to their relevant fields, this fails 3.3.1 (error identification)
Benefits Portal (https://counciltaxandbenefitschecker.reigate-banstead.gov.uk/
Next update due: These works are part of larger system upgrade project, exact date of delivery is TBC
- There are some inappropriate text descriptions for image buttons, this fails 1.1.1 (Non-text content)
- Certain headings and table marks ups have been repeated and/or used unnecessarily and some buttons have incorrect labels, this fails 1.3.1 (Info and relationships) 2.4.6 (Headings and labels)
- Colour contrast is insufficient for some form controls and key images, this fails 1.4.11 (Non-Text Contrast)
- Dynamic updates of content are not announced for screen readers and some pages have identical titles, this fails 4.1.2 (Name, role, value) and 2.4.2 (Page titled)
- Error messages are not connected to their fields and some instructions are placed incorrectly, this fails 3.3.1 (Error identification) and 3.3.2 (Labels and instructions)
We have published a separate document accessibility statement covering our document downloads. This is available below: