Pages in Facing Homelessness
5. Rough sleeping
Sleeping rough is an extremely difficult situation. You can be exposed to hunger, health problems and danger.
What do I do if I am sleeping rough?
- If you are homeless and rough sleeping, you should contact our Housing Team on 01737 276790 or you can email us at email@example.com where we can offer you advice and support.
- List of hostels in our local area
- A guide to finding accommodation in the borough
- You can contact East Surrey Outreach Services (ESOS). ESOS helps people who are currently sleeping on the streets, who are sofa-surfing or who are at risk of losing their home. They can help you find more secure accommodation. You can self-refer by contacting ESOS on 07436273614 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Renewed Hope is a Christian charity based in Redhill which provides practical and emotional support to homeless, vulnerable and isolated individuals in East Surrey.
- You can search for hostels and day centres in your local area and how to be referred via the Homeless Link website.
- Crisis is a charity which works directly with homeless people to help them rebuild their lives by offering one-to-one support and advice based on their individual needs.
- Facing homelessness can be a very emotionally distressing time. You can call Samaritans for free at any time on 116 123 where they will listen and offer you support. You can also chat with them online, email them or write them a letter. Please visit their website for further details.
What can I do if I see a rough sleeper in my area?
- If you see someone sleeping rough and you want to help, you can report them via Streetlink. StreetLink is an organisation which helps members of the public connect rough sleepers to local services that can support them
Contacting the Housing Team
- You can also contact our Housing Team on 01737 276790 or email us on email@example.com to report a rough sleeper in our borough.
- Please provide us with: a description of the person you have seen rough sleeping, the exact location of where you saw him/her, the day and time. This will enable us to investigate further and offer immediate support.