Flats and communal bins

If you live in a flat your waste and recycling service will look slightly different to the standard household collection service.

  • You will probably have communal bins
  • Some flats may have black boxes for recycling paper and card and possibly black bags for non-recyclable rubbish.

You can check the collection service for your property using the Where I live section on the website.

Improved flats recycling service

Some flats in the borough currently have a limited recycling service - collecting paper and card and cans only. We are moving all flats on to the standard waste and recycling service where space allows.

The standard service collects paper and card, mixed recycling, non-recyclable rubbish and food waste.

This table shows the containers usually used for the standard flats service.

Items Picture of bin
Paper/card Paper and cardboard bin
Mixed recycling Mixed recycling bin
Non-recyclable refuse General waste bin
Food waste for suitable properties Caddy, bin

What can go in each container

You can find out more about what can go in each container here or use the search tool below.

Surrey Recycles search tool

Waiting for the improved service

If you’re waiting to move to the standard service, we’ll be in touch when it’s time to switch over. You won’t have to do anything.

In the meantime, please remember you can use the Recycling sites across the borough to recycle household items.