Pages in Refugee support
6. Syrian Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme
We supported refugees who resettled in the UK as part of the Global Resettlement Scheme - GOV.UK. We, with our multi-agency partners, supported families to resettle quickly, safely and effectively into new homes and communities. We worked to develop their independence and resilience to ensure that they can, ultimately, contribute to, and thrive in, their new communities. We helped with:
- health: registration, assessment and on-going management of physical and mental health
- money management: opening a bank account, making appropriate benefit claims, budgeting, paying bills and becoming financially independent
- education: registering children to schools and supporting them through their learning journey
- English language: accessing English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes and intensive learning courses wherever possible
- community integration: supporting families to learn the local area and transport options, as well as integrate into their new community
- parenting and family functioning: assess family function, dynamics, routines and relationships within the family home to help identify the root causes of difficulties.
- the road to work: supporting people to volunteer and move into paid-work opportunities
Our dedicated volunteers provide support and assistance with cultural integration for refugee families moving into the area of East Surrey. Volunteers support with many aspects of a family’s resettlement, including but not limited to teaching English, helping to learn the area and transport options, befriending and interpreting. We welcome anyone over the age of 18, Arabic and non-Arabic speaking.
For more information, please contact,