Pages in Refugee support
2. Ukrainian refugee sponsors information
To read this page in Ukrainian, please see Google Translate: Підтримка громадян України
To read this page in Russian, please see Google Translate: Поддержка граждан Украины
Disclaimer: as the translations linked above are provided by Google Translate, Reigate & Banstead Borough Council cannot be held responsible for their accuracy.
Homes for Ukraine Scheme and Ukraine Family Scheme
How to prepare for your guests to arrive
Read the Sponsors Guidance and FAQs
- Welcome: a guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK - GOV.UK
- Homes for Ukraine scheme: frequently asked questions - GOV.UK
Tell Reigate & Banstead Borough Council, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- your name
- contact details (telephone and email)
- how many guests are you planning to accommodate (adults and children)
- which scheme you are supporting
- whether you have identified a guest(s)
You will then receive contact from the Resettlement team to provide you with more information.
We are hosting weekly drop-in sessions where guests and sponsors can come and meet council staff and each other. You can attend these before and after your guests arrival. The drop-in sessions will have specialist support present to provide advice around anything regarding resettlement into the area – for example money advice, how to open a bank account, register for a GP, register for local schools and/or adult English learning classes.
Current drop-in locations and times:
- The Banstead Centre
Find on Google maps
Every Tuesday 3.30pm to 5.30pm
- The Harlequin Theatre and Cinema
Find on Google maps
Every Thursday 3.30pm to 5.30pm
Homes for Ukraine Scheme only:
DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks - As part of our duty to promote the welfare of children and adults, we are administering DBS checks on sponsors and all people over 16 living within the property listed on the VISA.
Property suitability checks. This process has two parts:
Please note – these two checks do not delay your guests VISA applications or affect their arrival date.
1. Address verification - This process ensures that the address on the VISA is a residential property that exists within the Council’s administrative area. You do not have to do anything to enable this to happen.
2. Accommodation Check - You will be contacted to arrange a visit to the property listed on the VISA. This will be undertaken by our Environmental Health team. The team will ensure that your accommodation is free from serious health and safety hazards and is suitable for your guests.
Thank you payments
Sponsors have the option to receive a monthly payment of £350 for up to 12 months, paid in arrears, for as long as you are hosting your guests and provided that the accommodation provided is of a suitable standard. You will be eligible for the first monthly payment once your guests have arrived and the Reigate and Banstead Resettlement team have completed all the appropriate checks. Following information received from Surrey County Council, it has been agreed that the thank you payment will be increased from £350 to £600 from November until March 2023. This is to compensate for the rise in energy, food and fuel bills in this cost-of-living crisis.
For sponsors who receive Universal Credit or benefit payments, the thank you payment will not affect your benefit entitlement. Thank you payments will not affect any council tax discounts for single occupancy and they will be tax free. You will receive information directly from the Resettlement Team to help you apply for the thank you payment. if your guest moves out of your home for any reason, you must inform your local council at the earliest opportunity as you will need to let them know that you are no longer eligible for the monthly payments.