Licensing contact us and application advice service
Licensing Contact Information
The Licensing Department can be contacted by:
- Email- [email protected]
- Telephone- 01737 276672, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm or Wednesday 2pm-4pm. Our lines are closed Wednesday mornings and at times outside those stated previously.
- Post- Licensing Department, Reigate & Banstead Borough Council, Town Hall, Castlefield Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 0SH
Licensing Application Advice Service
Licensing now offers a chargeable application advice service that is aimed at supporting your licensing application(s), by offering bespoke advice, training or support for a vast array of licensing relating matters. The aim is to help you to anticipate and fix any problems which may arise during the application process. However, (if applicable) our advice cannot prejudge the outcome of the licensing application, especially if representations are received and a hearing takes place before the Licensing Sub-Committee.
- advice and assistance with completing application forms;
- taxi driver knowledge test support, practice questions, focus on specific areas that you may have failed on in the past, learn and practice map reading, learn and practice calculating and giving correct change or brush up on your legislation and council policies.
- advice on appropriate conditions taking into account the type and style of the operation intended at the premises, its location and in consultation with Environmental Health Officers;
- advice on drawing up plans to accompany the application in accordance with the relevant regulations;
- advice on nominating an appropriate designated premises supervisor;
- assistance with completing the statutory notices and advertisements;
- on-site visit(s) to ensure plans are compliant with regulations and the appropriate statutory notices are correctly on display; and
- advice on matters you may need to consider to assess possible noise transmission to neighbouring properties, dependent on the type of operation proposed for the premises.
Fees & charges
The cost of the service is flat fee of £59 inclusive of VAT which equates to up to an hour of an Officers time. We find that the vast majority of requests for assistance can be completed within an hour*. There are limited service slots per week and varying depending on Officer availability. Given this we recommend that if you wish to book a slot to email your request to [email protected]. In the email please state 'licensing application advice service booking' in the subject line. Please include a little information about what you would like assistance with. We will then check Officer availability and let you know the available slots for the coming week(s). One this has been agreed we will ask you to call the licensing telephone line to make the payment over the phone, please have a method of payment available at the time you are calling.
*Upon ascertaining the nature of the request in the email (and future correspondences with licensing officer) if the assistance request is substantial in nature, e.g new premise applications and personal licences for multiple premises, then we will need to provide a quote for undertaking this assistance based on an hourly fee of £59 inclusive of VAT.
Terms of Service
The cost of the service is £59 per hour inclusive of VAT. Payment is required before/at the time of booking an appointment. The cost is generally per person (notably for knowledge test assistance) and is non-refundable, to clarify if you miss your appointment or are more than 15 minutes late, the appointment will be cancelled and no monies are refundable. The maximum appointment/visit time is 1 hour, some appointments may take substantially less time but the same fixed charge applies. If you require more than an hour then another appointment shall be required to be made. Appointment slots are generally limited to six per week due to officer availability.
Our assistance isn't just limited to our Borough, we can provide advice for applications to other authorities.
For requests that are substantial in nature we are likely going to need to provide a quote to undertake the work, once we have ascertained exactly what assistance you require.
We reserve the right to withhold offering this service.
We reserve the right to cancel or change the appointment time, for operational reasons. If we need to cancel or change the appointment you will be entitled to a full refund.
Any advice given will be from the council’s Licensing Team, acting in their roles as Responsible Authorities.
With regard to any pre-application advice, the written confirmation will state that pre-application advice will not give applicants any exemptions from the licensing process. Responsible Authorities, including the Noise and Nuisance and the Licensing Teams, may still make a representation against the application and the case may still need to be heard at Licensing Sub-Committee for a decision to be made.
The advice given will not include views from other responsible authorities such as the Police, Fire Authority, etc. Determining any application that is subject to representations will be the function of the Licensing Sub-Committee who will consider the application and the representations on its own merits and determine the application accordingly on the basis of whether it promotes the licensing objectives.