Environmental Health and Licensing privacy notice

The Data Controller for the information outlined in this privacy notice is Reigate & Banstead Borough Council (RBBC).

Why we are going to collect the data

The Environmental Health service includes Food Safety, Health & Safety at work, Private Sector Housing, Environmental Protection, and a variety of Public Health functions, including the maintenance of public registers.

The Licensing Team investigates and issues licenses for public houses, clubs, taxis, including animal boarding establishments and investigates enquiries and complaints.

The service is responsible for protecting and improving the health, safety and welfare of the population of the borough.

What information we will hold about you

In order to administer our services we collect the following information from you:

  • name
  • address
  • contact details (email, telephone number etc)
  • bank details (where a payable service is used by the resident)
  • date of birth (for relevant applications)
  • proof of residency and date of birth (for relevant applications)
  • photographs (of the location in cases of collection complaint etc or of the individual for relevant applications)

We will only ask for personal information that is appropriate to enable us to deliver our services. This may also include information that we receive from third parties e.g. landlords, the police and fire service. In some cases, you can refuse to provide your details if you deem a request to be inappropriate. However, you should note that this may impact on our ability to provide some services to you.

How we will use the information we hold about you

We will collect information about you for:

  • statutory inspections of premises or processes
  • applications for licences, registrations or certificates
  • notifications of certain infectious diseases
  • legal proceedings in cases of non-compliance with legislation
  • the collection of fees and debts owed to the Council
  • Holding public records, such as licensed Houses in Multiple Occupation and registered food businesses
  • Financial transactions
  • Research including consultations
  • Equality monitoring
  • Where it is necessary to protect public health
  • Where it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes

Within the Council we will share the information between service areas to:

  • keep the electoral register up to date
  • respond to the Planning department for consultations
  • recover funds owed to the Council
  • inform internal audit procedures
  • improve the service you receive
  • share between departments where the law allows or requires it; for example, with our Council Tax, Legal, Housing Benefit, Family Support and Environmental Health Teams to enhance the management of children and/or adult services
  • compare the information you have provided, or information about you that someone else has provided, with other information held
  • gather feedback from you as a user of Council services

What is the legal basis for us to process your data?

The legal bases for processing your personal information are:

  • compliance with our legal obligations including under associated regulations, statutory guidance and codes of guidance, including but not limited to the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963, Animal Health Act 1981, Animal Welfare Act 2006, Anti-social Behaviour, Crime & Policing Act 2014, Breeding of Dogs Act 1991, Building Act 1984, Caravan Sites Act 1968, Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960,Clean Air Act 1993, Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005, Control of Dogs Order 1992, Control of Pollution Act 1974, Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, Dangerous Wild Animals 1970 and 1991, Environmental Protection Act 1990, Environmental Damage (Prevention and Remediation) Regulations 2009, Food and Environment Protection Act 1985, Food Safety Act 1990, Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regs 2013 (as amended), Gambling Act 2005, Health Act 2006 (Part 1) and any regulations thereunder, Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, Health Protection (Part 2A Orders) Regs 2010, Housing Act 1985/2006, Housing Act 2004, Housing Grants Construction and Regeneration Act 1996, House to House Collections Act 1939, Hypnotism Act 1952, Legislative and Regulatory Reform Act 2006, Licensing Act 2003, Local Government and Housing Act 1989, Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Acts 1976 and 1982, Mobile Homes Act 2013, Noise Act 1996, Official Feeds Food Controls (England) Regs 2009, Pet Animals Act 1951 as amended 1983, Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999, Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949, Products of Animal Origin (Import and Export) Regs 1996 (as amended), Products of Animal Origin (3rd Country imports) (England) (amendment) Regs 2010, Public Health Act 1936/1961, Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984, Regulatory Reform (Housing Assistance) (England and Wales) Order 2002, Riding Establishments Act 1964 and 1970, Sick and Disable Persons Act 1981, Smoke Free regulations 2006, Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010, Sunday Trading Act 1994, Town Police Clauses Act 1847, Venice (Crime) Act 2001, Water Industry Act 1991, Working Time Regulations 1998, Zoo Licensing Act 1981
  • tasks carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority
  • contract for the supply of services

Who we will share your information with

We have specific data sharing agreements in place with some local agencies and sometimes the law requires that we may have to pass your details on to a third party, for example, to prevent crime or to provide a service that you have requested e.g. paid for pest control services.

Information will only ever be shared when it is strictly necessary to help us provide effective services, and you may have the right to refuse. We will not pass it onto any other third parties unless required to do so by law, or in all reasonable circumstances the disclosure is fair and warranted for the purposes of processing or subject to a legal requirement.

Only the minimum information for the purpose will be shared.

We may share your data with:

  • Other local authorities, where required i.e. Infectious disease outbreak, landlord details
  • Police
  • Judicial Agencies e.g. Courts
  • National Regulators and Agencies
  • Fire & Rescue Services
  • National Fraud Initiative
  • for the purpose of gathering your feedback as one of the Council's customers

How long will we keep your records?

Records are kept for no longer than 7 years unless there is a legal requirement to keep them for a longer period. All records are destroyed when we no longer require them.

To determine how long we should keep information, we consider what legislation requires and what good practice is.

All information will be held securely, and will be securely destroyed when it is no longer required.

Will any of your data be used for profiling and/or automated decisions?

The Council does not carry out automated decision-making, and as such any decision taken by us which affects you will always include human intervention. We do on occasion carry out profiling to enable us, as a local authority, to target services to those in society who are in need of help and support and who may suffer harm without our assistance.

Will any of your data be transferred abroad?


Your rights

You have a number of rights under data protection law. The Council’s over-arching privacy notice contains details of those rights and how to exercise them.

Your responsibilities: providing accurate information

It is important that we hold accurate and up-to-date information about you in order to assess your needs and deliver the appropriate services. If any of your details have changed, or change in the future, please ensure that you inform us as soon as possible, at Reigate and Banstead, Town Hall, Castlefield Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 0SH so that we can update your records.

Questions or concerns?

If you have any concerns about how we are collecting or using your personal data please contact our Data Protection Officer:

You can also contact to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK's independent body set up to uphold information rights: