This page provides information on the rateable value of non-domestic properties and how to submit a Check and Challenge Appeal against the valuation.

Apart from properties that are exempt from Business Rates, each non-domestic property has a rateable value that is normally set by the valuation officers of the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), an executive agency of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

It draws up and maintains a full list of all rateable values, available at the Valuation Office Agency website.

The rateable value of your property is shown on the front of your bill.  This broadly represents the yearly rent the property could have been let for on the open market on a particular date.  For the revaluation that came into effect on 1 April 2017, this date was set as 1 April 2015.

The valuation officer may alter the value if the circumstances of the property have changed.

Check and Challenge Appeal

The ratepayer (and certain others who have an interest in the property) can check and/or challenge the value shown in the list if they believe it is wrong.  You need to go to the Valuation Office Agency's website page in order to:

  • request changes to the property or valuation details if the property has changed or if you think they are wrong
  • view the valuation details of other properties
  • challenge the rateable value if eligible.

Valuation Office

Further information about the Check and Challenge Appeal scheme can be found on the VOA website or from the valuation office:

The Valuation Office Agency
St Anne's House
2 St Anne's Road
BN21 3LG

Telephone: 03000 501501
Valuation Office Agency website

Successful appeals against values shown in the rating list that came into force on 1 April 2017 will normally be backdated to that date, although there are exceptions to this.

Further information about these arrangements may be found on the VOA website or by visiting Business rate ( website).

Completion Notices

A completion date is the date on which a newly built or altered property becomes liable for business rates. In all cases we will inspect the property and will issue a Completion Notice up to three months in advance, if the property is complete or nearly complete. For more information please refer to our NDR Completion Notice Policy.

Rating advisers

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill.

However, ratepayers who do wish to be represented should be aware that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct.

Before you employ a rating adviser, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance.

Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract.