Designated Premises Supervisor

A designated premises supervisor (DPS) is the person who has day-to-day responsibility for the running of the business and is responsible for authorising the alcohol sales.

All businesses and organisations selling or supplying alcohol, except members clubs and certain community premises must have a designated premises supervisor.

Whoever holds this role will be named on the licence and will need to be named on any application and give their consent to acting.

The main purpose of the designated premises supervisor (DPS) is to ensure that there is always one specified individual, among other Personal Licence holders employed at the venue, to take day-to-day responsibility for running the premises. This person will therefore occupy a pivotal position and will deal with the Responsible Authorities for problems associated with the premises licence.

Application for DPS

A DPS must have a personal licence and must be nominated by the premises licence holder for the role of designated supervisor.

To apply to be a DPS or make a variation to an existing DPS please visit the website below where the relevant forms can be found.

DPS Application/Variation Forms

DPS Consent Form

Once completed please email the relevant form back to and please state 'DPS consent form' in the subject line.

Varying a DPS

If the designated premises supervisor (DPS) leaves for any reason, or has their personal licence suspended it will be necessary to specify a new DPS in order to continue with the sale of alcohol. The application to change the DPS must be sent to Licensing , together with the original premises licence and the signed consent form of the proposed DPS. A copy of the application must be sent to the Local Police Force also. 

Fees and charges

For information on fees and charges please consult our licences and permit fees page. Currently we can only accept payment via cheque. We are in the process of working towards payment over the phone and online payment. Please make cheques payable to 'Reigate & Banstead Borough Council'. These can either be dropped into reception or posted in. Please ensure you write on the back of the cheque what the payment is for so we can cross reference this to your application. 

Further information