skip to content

Changes to your circumstances

This page explains when and how to tell us if your circumstances change.

Report a change in circumstances online

Changes in circumstance can change the amount of benefit you receive. You may receive more, you may receive less or you may receive the same. 

Examples of changes you must tell us about are:

  • if you or your partner start or stop getting income support or jobseekers allowance or any other state benefits
  • if you or your partner start or stop work, or your or your partner’s wages or income goes up or down (for example, if you work overtime)
  • if any other money you or your family has coming in goes up or down
  • if anyone who lives with you moves out or somebody new comes to live with you
  • if the Home Office refuse your application for asylum
  • if you or your partner move or go into hospital or go abroad
  • if your or your partner's savings go up or down
  • if your child leaves school or child benefit ends.

These are only some examples of the changes you should tell us about, if you are not sure call us on 01737 276497.

In claim reviews of your Benefit award

From time to time we will ask you to complete an in claim review form online . We carry our reviews of claims to make sure that you are getting the correct amount of benefit and to try and avoid overpayments.

You only need to complete this form when we specifically ask you to. We will send you a letter in the post when we need you to complete a review online. This is the only time you will need to use this form.

When should you tell us?

It is important that you tell us as soon as you can. If the change means you will get more benefit you must notify us within one calendar month of the date of the change. If you do not you may lose money.

If the change means you will get less benefit it is important to tell us straight away to avoid being overpaid. Any overpaid benefit will need to be paid back in most cases.

How do you tell us?

You can tell us about changes by phone and email, as well as by post.

By phone

Please call (01737) 276497 to report a change in your circumstances. We will be able to take details of the change and advise you if we need supporting information. In many cases we will be able to adjust your claim without you having to provide any further information or evidence.

By email

You can email us with details of the change. Our email address is

If your Tax Credits change, you can call us and we will contact Her Majesty's Revenues & Customs directly to obtain details of the change, but we still need you to let us know when your Tax Credits change.

Last updated : 21/10/2013

Footer links