Pages in Application information
1. All New Drivers
Welcome to our dedicated application advice page. This page is intended to help applicants that have recently applied and paid for a New Private Hire or Hackney Carriage Driver Licence. Please read and follow the information below carefully as we inform you how to continue your application. You need to apply for your own DBS and DVLA checks, directly to “Licence Check” for the DVLA check (you will receive a separate email within five working days) and “GBG” for the DBS check. You must follow all the instructions below.
DVLA and DBS Checks
The online application for an Enhanced DBC check can be completed via the disclosure portal hosted by First Advantage. To do this, you must follow the steps below
Create your account
2. Below 'User Login' heading click the 3rd option 'Register'
3. You will then land on the page headed 'Self Registration' where you should enter the following details before clicking to confirm 'I am not a robot
|Reigate16 [do not include any spaces]
|Complete your own email details
4. On the next page, tick to confirm Reigate and Banstead is your organisation. Complete your first and last name and create your own password, then click 'Register'
You will now have an account under KnowYourPeople and can login on the link at 1 above to make your application
1. At 'Username' type in your email and Password used to create your account then click 'Login'
2. From the Dashboard you can now 'Create a new application' following the instruction on the website. The instructions will tell you what information and documents you need, and how to pay the fee. You can return to your account anytime, but after completing your application you will need to print the barcode provided and take your original identification documents to a Post Office that offers the verification service. The link to the Post office website will help you find your nearest one (note an additional fee is payable to the Post office for this service).
DBS Update Service
The Council will shortly require all new drivers, and those renewing their DBS to sign up to the Update service so that 6 monthly DBS checks can be made as required by the Department for Transport statutory standards. Your certificate must be for an Enhanced DBS where the 'Position applied for' is 'Other workforce' AND 'Taxi/Private Hire Driver'
You must register and pay for this service within 30 days of your certificate being issued, and maintain the annual fee. In the long run this service also works out cheaper and will avoid delays at licence renewals. We will need to see a copy of the original certificate issued prior to you signing up for the service. Further details can be found at GovUK DBS Update Service.
If you choose not to subscribe to the update service you will need to carry out a new check every 6 months and may have your licence suspended until the results are received.
Once we have processed your application, in the LicenceCheck system, you will receive an email from Davis. Remember to regularly check your junk emails so you don't miss important emails associated with your application. Follow the instructions in the email which will allow the Council to verify and view your driver record at the DVLA.
You must supply a fully completed copy of your medical form. You must complete Page 1 and a GP from the medical practice you are registered at must fully complete the rest. The form can be downloaded in PDF format below:
Make sure your GP fully completes every single question – we often have to send Medical forms back as they have not been completed properly so check yourself before you give it to us. Please note that your GP must complete all the eyesight questions; we will not accept an opticians report instead of the Snellen chart.
You may email the form to email@example.com, post or drop a photocopy into Reception. You can supply it at any stage of your application but be aware that we may not be able to check it promptly. We may ask you for the original form so you must keep it for the duration of the licence or until it is replaced by a newer medical.
You can provide the required documents at your knowledge test or at one of our driver drop in sessions.
Further information on documents required to be provided as part of your application can be found on our Document Guidance Webpage.
We are confident you will be able to find all the supporting information you will need in relation to making your application on our webpages and in our guidance documents. If required, you can contact the Licensing Team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our telephone lines are open 10am-12 midday and 2pm - 4pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and 2pm-4pm on Wednesday.