We work with our Home Improvement Agency provider Millbrook Healthcare to administer our grant schemes and to provide Handy Person Services.
Assistance with Disabled Facilities Grants
Millbrook Healthcare can assist elderly, disabled and vulnerable residents (both owner occupiers and tenants) to apply for Disabled Facilities Grants. This includes;
- Caseworker service to help fill in application forms and carry out means testing
- Technical officer service to turn the recommendations of the Occupational Therapist into a scheme of works
- Obtaining quotes for the works, organising and overseeing contractors
- Checking and signing off that all work has been completed to the required standard
Handy Person Service
Millbrook Healthcare also offers a subsidised handy person service for minor repairs, improvements and adaptations to the home and garden, for elderly (over 60 years) or disabled clients.
Handy person services are charged at an hourly rate of £29.50 plus VAT, plus the cost of any materials used.
The service can provide a wide range of minor repairs, such as plumbing, fitting shelves and curtain rails, installing grab rails and key safes, minor garden safety works e.g. fence panels and leveling paving slabs, plus many more.
The handy person is fully trained, experienced and DBS checked, and can also offer advice on home safety and security options.
Safe and Secure Grant
This is a new grant offered by the Council, which provides up to £3,000 of handy person services free to the customer for eligible residents, where the work is:
- to prevent falls or accidents within the home, or
- promote independence, or
- to prevent hospitalisation and assist hospital discharges, such as essential repairs, minor adaptations and moving of furniture to allow room for medical equipment etc
To be eligible an applicant must: -
- Be a disabled adult or child i.e. registered or registerable disabled. This will include those with a disability, chronic illness, mental health condition or sensory impairment, which restricts their functioning on a day-to-day basis;
- Be aged over 60
- be on an income or disability related benefit. These are:
- Income Support
- Tax Credits - Working and/or Child*
- Housing Benefit
- Universal Credit
- Gaurantee Pension Credit
- Jobseeker's Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Attendance Allowance
- Personal Independent Payment
- Didability Living Allowance
- Council Tax support/reduction
For more information about these and other services offered please also see Millbrook Healthcare website.
Write to: Millbrook Healthcare, The Old Crumpet Factory, 16 Brockham Lane, Brockham, Surrey, RH3 7EL