Best practice advice for food businesses
This section has been designed to assist people already in a food business or those preparing to set up new
We have included the more general elements of food safety and hygiene law together with good practice that our Environmental Health Officers most often refer to.
There are other regulations which apply to certain types of food businesses only which are not included here.
You can access more detailed information via the links below:
- For a national perspective and further information on food and hygiene issues, see the Food Standards Agency's website.
- Further information for caterers and all businesses involved in the preparation, transportation and sale of food is available on the Safer Food Better Business section of the FSA website.
- Suppliers of books, training and advisory material Highfield website and the Eaton publications website.
- Environmental Health News website, the magazine for Environmental Health Officers with the latest environmental health issues.
- Health Protection Agency website: Protecting people’s health and reducing the impact of infectious diseases (including food poisoning), chemical hazards, poisons and radiation hazards.
- The Royal Society for the Promotion of Health website: promotes continuous improvement in health through influencing public policy, education, communication and the encouragement of scientific research.
- The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) website is an independent professional body. You will be able to find information on food hygiene courses in your area.