Housing options for 50+ year olds

Pages in Housing options for 50+ year olds

  1. 1. Housing options for 50+ year olds
  2. 2. Staying in your home
  3. 3. Moving to specialist accommodation
  1. 4. Elderly Accommodation Council
  2. 5. You are here: Elder abuse

5. Elder abuse

Elder abuse is a single or a repeated act or lack of appropriate action occurring within any relationship where there is an expectation of trust, which causes harm or distress to an older person.

  • It can involve physical abuse, psychological abuse, financial abuse, sexual abuse, family abuse or neglect.
  • It can occur anywhere you live or visit, such as your home, a care home, a day centre or in a hospital.
  • The abuse can be perpetrated by friends, family members, carers or by anyone else who is in a position of trust. Abuse occurs when that trust is exploited

What can I do?

It is important to remember that you are not alone and should not suffer in silence.

Elder Abuse Helpline

  • You can call the EA helpline who can understand the issues you are faced with and can advise you on suitable options available to you to end the abuse without making you do anything you are not happy with.
  • You can call the EA helpline on 080 8808 8141
  • You can also contact the East Surrey Domestic Abuse Service on 01737 771350