The Council has recently undertaken a review of the Constitution. The current version was adopted by Full Council on 14 April 2016.
The Council's Constitution sets out how we operate, how decisions are made and the procedures which are followed to ensure that these are efficient, transparent and accountable to the community.
A copy of the Constitution is available to download below:
You can use the links in the contents pages to navigate to specific sections of the Constitution.
The Constitution has six parts, as follows:
- Part 1: Summary and Explanation
- Part 2: Articles of the Constitution
- Part 3a: Responsibility for Functions
- Part 3b: Officer Scheme of Delegation
- Part 4: Council Rules of Procedure
- Procedure Rule 1 - Access to Information
- Procedure Rule 2 - Council
- Procedure Rule 3 - Executive Functions
- Procedure Rule 4 - Committee and Sub Committee
- Procedure Rule 5 - Overview & Scrutiny
- Procedure Rule 6 - Policy Framework and Budget
- Procedure Rule 7 - Financial
- Procedure Rule 8 - Contract
- Procedure Rule 9 - Officer Employment
- Part 5: Code and Protocols
- Member Code of Conduct
- Protocol 1 - Member/Officer Relations
- Protocol 2 - Working/Task Groups
- Part 6: Members' Allowances Scheme