Coronavirus (COVID-19)

For the latest information please visit our coronavirus pages

I need help

Pages in I need help

  1. 1. I need help
  2. 2. Online directory of services
  3. 3. Help with self-isolating
  4. 4. You are here: Council Tax, benefits and payments
  5. 5. Physical and mental wellbeing

4. Council Tax, benefits and payments

We understand that this is a difficult time for many residents and your circumstances may have changed due to the coronavirus pandemic, for example you have been made redundant or you are on a zero hours contract and cannot work because you are sick or self isolating and need help with paying your rent, mortgage or Council Tax. Please see advice below and details of where you can get advice and help.

Test and Trace Support Payment

Council Tax

  • If you have a reduced income due to COVID-19, the best way to get help with your Council Tax is to apply for Council Tax Support. This is means tested and you will need to complete an online claim form.
  • If you have a current claim for Council Tax Reduction, please tell us your new circumstances by completing the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction: Change in Circumstances form
  • The Government has announced extra support for working age households claiming Council Tax Reduction, and those households will now have up to an extra £150 reduction on what they have to pay.
  • If you are not entitled to or have been refused Council Tax Reduction, you may still be able to get some help towards your bill by applying for the Discretionary Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Housing Benefit and Universal Credit