1. I need financial support

We understand that this is a difficult time for many residents and your circumstances may change due to the Coronavirus outbreak.  We are rapidly preparing arrangements to ensure our most vulnerable residents have access to support.

Help if your income is reduced

If your income has reduced as a direct result of the coronavirus outbreak, for example you have been made redundant or you are on a zero hours contract and cannot work because you are sick or self isolating and need help with paying your rent, mortgage or Council Tax. Please see advice below and details of where you can get advice and help.


The government has announced additional measures for people who rent.

Council Tax

  • If you do not have a claim for Council Tax Reduction but need help with paying your Council Tax please complete an online claim form.
  • If you need to defer this year’s Council Tax payments until June – please email your request as soon as possible to council.tax@reigate-banstead.gov.uk.
  • The Government has announced extra support for working age households claiming Council Tax Reduction and we are looking to implement this as soon as possible.

Reduced income

  • If you have a reduced income and need money to live on you may need to make a claim for Universal Credit. Please see advice on the Gov.co.uk web site.


The Government has announced measures to help those who pay mortgage. Please contact your individual mortgage provider for more information.

Universal Credit advances

You can apply for an advance payment of your Universal Credit if you are in financial hardship while you wait for your first payment, for example, if you can’t afford to pay your rent or buy food.

You will need to pay back your advance a bit at a time from your future Universal Credit payments, or by other means if you no longer get Universal Credit, for example, from your wages or other benefit you may be getting.

For full details, including how to apply see Universal Credit advances (Gov.uk)

Citizens Advice Reigate & Banstead

Citizens Advice Reigate & Banstead continues to provide support on a range of matters. They are not able to meet clients face to face but are helping people over the phone and online. Visit the website for full information.