Below is a list of all Council services that have changed due to the coronavirus outbreak.
We are working hard to deliver essential services and support residents and local communities in the best way we can.
The safety of staff and residents is our priority. We hope you will understand that some services have had to be suspended and some facilities have had to close. Please also note that high demand, as well as staff absences, may affect some services.
- Our Town Hall reception doors are now closed but there is a telephone outside for customers to call our customer contact number directly. We would encourage anyone that can, to search these coronavirus web pages in the first instance for information and advice specifically related to the coronavirus outbreak.
- Our Customer Contact Centre is open for calls from 10am to 4pm, Monday - Friday, 01737 276000. Our team is here to help so please be patient as we may be busier than normal.
Bins and recycling
- Our waste and recycling service is currently operating as usual. For information and advice about what to do with your waste see Surrey Environment Partnership.
- The fortnightly garden waste collections resumed on Monday 22 June and will follow the usual timetable.
- Our bulky waste request service is closed for new bookings.
- Surrey County Council's Community Recycling Centres are running a limited service - please check details of materials accepted and opening times on the Surrey County Council website before you travel.
Leisure and recreation
- Our three leisure centres - Horley, Tadworth and Donyngs, Redhill - will begin a phased re-opening from Saturday 25 July, starting with gym and fitness classes.
- Community Centres at Banstead, Horley and Woodhatch are closed.
- The Waller Cinema reopened at the Harlequin Theatre on 17 July.
- Events – we have had to cancel a number of the Council’s key events, including ‘Star for a Night’ and the ‘Festival of Sport’.
Parks and greenspaces
- Parks and opens spaces, including tennis courts, skate parks and multi-use games areas are open for people to enjoy. However, visitors must follow the social distancing guidelines.
- All our play areas and outdoor gyms have now reopened. If you're using the play areas we ask that you pay attention to the signs; and if it's too busy please come back another time. You can find out more about what's open and how to play safe in Our Plan for Playgrounds.
- Cemeteries remain open but please note that the cemetery office, chapel and toilet block are currently closed to the public until further notice. Cemeteries will also not be offering the internment of ashes or the pre-purchase of plots until later in the year. Anyone visiting the cemetery must follow the Government’s social distancing guidelines.
- Allotment sites remain accessible to tenants. Applications for new tenants are on hold until further notice.
- All events in parks have been cancelled for at least three months. Event bookings are suspended until further notice, including street parties and related road closures.
- Banner enquiries and bookings are suspended until further notice.
- We are reviewing our grounds maintenance and grass cutting schedules and identifying key areas around the borough where this will need to take place (including maintaining sightlines on highways).
Council tax and benefits
- Council Tax account queries are currently being dealt with online, where you can use the council tax checker. For information about deferring your payments and Council Tax Support visit the I need help pages.
- Benefits and support for those experiencing financial hardship – visit the I need help pages for an overview of the support available..
- Business rates relief, financial support and advice – see our Supporting businesses page.
- Under new Government regulations, our Environmental Health team now has the authority to enforce closure on specified businesses in the borough that are still trading. The full list can be found on the Government’s website. If you’d like to report a business for continuing to trade, please call the team on 01737 276417 or email [email protected].
- For guidance on operating safely during Covid-19 and for food business see the Supporting businesses page.
- On-street parking enforcement has now recommenced across the borough. Council car parks remain free for users. However, charges will resume from Monday 6 July to ensure a good turnaround of spaces for residents and visitors.
- As our car parks are currently free of charge, we are offering an extension to eligible season ticket and contract space holders. For more information and to find out if you are eligible, please email Parking Services providing details of your current permit/season ticket.
- After a comprehensive review, we are reopening some public toilets in Banstead, Horley, Redhill and Reigate on Monday 6 July. See the Public toilets in town centres page for details.
- Committee meetings are now being held online under new legislation that allows councils to hold meeting remotely. The dates and times may be subject to change or cancellation.
- Mayoral engagements have been cancelled until further notice.
- Private hire Knowledge test bookings are currently suspended.
- The process for renewing a Private Hire and Hackney Carriage vehicle licence has been amended, this is whilst we have suspended our vehicle check and MOT checking service.
- There will be an uncalculated delay in processing Freedom of Information, Environmental Information and Subject Access Requests while we concentrate on frontline services.
County Council services
See Surrey County Council 's website for information on their services.