Below is a list of Council services that have changed due to the coronavirus outbreak.
We are working hard to deliver essential services and support residents and local communities in the best way we can.
The safety of staff and residents is our priority. We hope you will understand that some services have had to be suspended and some facilities have had to close. Please also note that high demand, as well as staff absences, may affect some services.
- Our Town Hall reception doors are now closed but there is a telephone outside for customers to call our customer contact number directly. We would encourage anyone that can, to search these coronavirus web pages in the first instance for information and advice specifically related to the coronavirus outbreak.
- Our Customer Contact Centre is open for extended times until further notice. It is open for calls from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4.45pm on Fridays - 01737 276000. Our team is here to help so please be patient as we may be busier than normal.
Bins and recycling
- Unfortunately garden waste collections were suspended from Monday 30 March so that our staff can focus on the priority household waste collection service. From 1 June, all garden waste members will receive £20 per bin off the cost of their annual renewal to thank them for their patience and as compensation for the disruption. We will resume the service as soon as it’s safe to do so without affecting the household waste collections.
- Our bulky waste request service has now closed for new bookings.
- The general household waste and recycling collections are currently operating as usual – see Surrey Environment Partnership for information and advice about what to do with your waste if you’re self-isolating.
- Surrey County Council has closed all Community Recycling Centres. A limited service will start from Monday 11 May but please check the full details on the Surrey County Council website before you travel.
Leisure and recreation
- Our three leisure centres - Horley, Tadworth and Donyngs, Redhill - are closed from Friday 20 March following latest government advice.
- Community Centres at Banstead, Horley and Woodhatch have been closed by the current operator, Staywell.
- The Harlequin Theatre has closed until further notice.
- Events – we have had to cancel a number of the Council’s key events, including ‘Star for a Night’ and the ‘Festival of Sport’.
Parks and greenspaces
- Parks and opens spaces, including tennis courts and multi-use games areas are open for people to enjoy. However, visitors must follow the social distancing guidelines - staying at least 2m apart from anyone outside their own household and only meeting up with one other person outside their household.
- All our play areas and skate parks remain closed for your safety until further notice.
- Cemeteries remain open but please note that the cemetery office, chapel and toilet block are currently closed to the public until further notice. Cemeteries will also not be offering the internment of ashes or the pre-purchase of plots until later in the year. Anyone visiting the cemetery must follow the Government’s social distancing guidelines.
- Allotment sites remain accessible to tenants. Applications for new tenants will cease until further notice.
- All sports pitch bookings have been cancelled until further notice.
- All events in parks will be cancelled for at least three months. Event bookings will be suspended until further notice, including street parties and related road closures.
- Banner enquiries and bookings will be suspended until further notice.
- We are reviewing our grounds maintenance and grass cutting schedules and identifying key areas around the borough where this will need to take place (including maintaining sightlines on highways).
Council tax and benefits
- Council Tax queries are currently being dealt with online - where you can use the council tax checker - for information about deferring payments and Council Tax support visit the I need help page.
- Benefits and support for those experiencing financial hardship – visit the I need help page for an overview of the support available..
- Business rates, financial support and advice – see our Supporting businesses page.
- Under new Government regulations, our Environmental Health team now has the authority to enforce closure on specified businesses in the borough which are still trading. The full list can be found on the Government’s website. If you’d like to report a business for continuing to trade, please call the team on 01737 276417 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Single yellow line parking restrictions in quiet residential roads are not being enforced and council carparks will be free so that those key workers and volunteers who need to use them can do so. For more information see Changes to parking enforcement due to the coronavirus (Surrey County Council).
- Public toilets in the borough will close until further notice to help reduce the spread of the virus.
- Committee meetings – currently committee meetings have been cancelled but new legislation could mean councillors attend committees remotely.
- Mayoral engagements have been cancelled until further notice.
- Private hire Knowledge test bookings are currently suspended.
- The process for renewing a Private Hire and Hackney Carriage vehicle licence has been amended, this is whilst we have suspended our vehicle check and MOT checking service.
- There will be an uncalculated delay in processing Freedom of Information, Environmental Information and Subject Access Requests while we concentrate on frontline services.
County Council services
For information about Surrey County Council services.