Coronavirus (COVID-19)

For the latest information please visit our coronavirus pages

Noise from industrial premises

There are numerous sources of noise arising from commercial activity that may lead to noise disturbance and it is possible that these noises may cause a statutory nuisance within the provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Other legal provision which may be applicable are common law nuisance and section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Both of these allow individuals to take their own legal action and may offer a more speedy remedy than we can offer using our powers under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

The matter may also be dealt with under Health and Safety legislation. Advice on Health and Safety in the Workplace is in the Health and Safety section of this website.

Under limited circumstances, where the process responsible for the noise is a 'prescribed process', the Environment Agency (or occasionally the local authority) will be the relevant authority to contact about the matter since these 'prescribed processes' are subject to particular noise legislation.

We would advise you to speak to the person(s) responsible in the first instance. They may be unaware of the degree of disturbance they are causing.

Guidance notes

Before you make a formal complaint we strongly recommend you read our guidance notes on making a complaint.

Having read the guidance notes, make your complaint online or make your complaint by letter, telephone or email.

We will need to know exactly where the activity is taking place and when it may be witnessed by our officers. Any other information would be helpful.

We would also advise you to make a complaint to the owner of the property from which the disturbance emanates if it is occupied by a tenant.