Coronavirus (COVID-19)

For the latest information please visit our coronavirus pages

Noise from DIY

There is no law laying down times that DIY or any other construction can take place nor specifying maximum noise levels. However it is possible that this activity could cause a  statutory nuisance within the provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

The noise may also be controlled by the Control of Pollution Act 1974, sections 60 and 61.

Other legal provisions which may be applicable are common law nuisance section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. Both of these allow individuals to take their own legal action and may offer a more speedy remedy than we can offer using our powers under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Breach in conditions

It is also possible that the noise is causing tenancy or letting conditions to be breached (if the house in question is not in owner occupation) or that there is a breach of the property's covenants (although action in respect of any of these is also a private matter and not one that this council can become involved in).


We would advise you to speak to your neighbours in the first instance. They may be unaware of the degree of disturbance they are causing.

The council has produced guidance to developers and those on construction sites.

You might also consider that mediation would be a useful option to consider. For more information please see Mediation Surrey or email [email protected]. You can also call 03301 340 260

Before you make a formal complaint we strongly recommend you read our guidance notes on making a complaint.

We will need to know exactly where the activity is taking place and when it may be witnessed by our officers.

Any other information would be helpful. We would also advise you to make a complaint to the owner of the property from which the disturbance emanates if it is occupied by a tenant.